Council is seeking community feedback on its draft 2017/18 Budget. We’d also like to have your comments on our draft Council Plan 2017-2021 which sets out Council’s key objectives for the next four years.
Draft Council Plan
Find Out More/Have Your Say
The draft Budget proposes a $49.2 million capital works program, the largest ever program of community infrastructure upgrades in Monash.
Significant funding is proposed for upgrades to sports pavilions; sports grounds; bike paths; children’s playspaces; footpaths; and drainage. The year’s major project is proposed to be a redevelopment of the Oakleigh Recreation Centre, which will involve renewing and expanding the 40 year old indoor sports stadium and creating a new home for Waverley Gymnastics.
Other key features of the draft Budget include:
- Monash will continue to have the lowest average rates of all 79 Victorian councils;
- A 2% rate increase is proposed (an increase of $27 over the year for the average Monash home owner). This is in keeping with the State Government’s cap on rate increases;
- A $50 Council rate discount is proposed for pensioners, in addition to the State Government pensioner rate rebate (which will be about $221).
Here is a link to a Council media release: Have Your Say on draft Budget and draft Council Plan.
Here is the draft Council Budget 2017/18 (PDF, 8MB)
Draft Council Plan
The draft Council Plan sets out four key strategic objectives which Council wishes to achieve over its four year term. It sets out a range of strategies and priority projects to achieve each of these four objectives. The four objectives are:
- A Liveable & Sustainable City
We value our natural environment and want to preserve and enhance the leafy and green character of our city. Monash’s desirability as a place to live, learn, work and play needs to be protected.
- Inviting Open & Urban Spaces
We will continue to improve our public infrastructure, meeting places and open spaces, providing inclusive, safe and inviting places for community use.
- An Inclusive Community
Our people and our communities are healthy, connected and engaged.
- Responsive & Efficient Services
People can have a say in, and are at the centre of, our decisions. We will deliver affordable, respectful, responsive, reliable and high quality services.
Here is the draft Council Plan 2017-2021 (PDF, 1MB)
Find Out More / Have Your Say
If you have any questions please contact:
- Danny Wain, Chief Financial Officer, on 9518 3638 (regarding the draft Budget)
- Ross Goeman, Manager - Corporate Performance, on 9518 3206 (regarding the draft Council Plan).
Making a submission
If you would like to provide suggestions or comments to Council about the draft Budget or the draft Council Plan, please make a submission by Wednesday 31 May. You can make a submission via:
- Mail to: Monash Council, PO Box 1, Glen Waverley 3150, or
- Email to: email@example.com or
- Drop in to: Monash Civic Centre (293 Springvale Rd, Glen Waverley) between 8.15am-5pm, Monday-Friday.
Please provide your name and contact details with your submission, so we can respond to you. Everyone who makes a submission will have the opportunity to speak to their submission at a Council meeting, which will be held at the Monash Civic Centre on Tuesday 13 June 2017, from 7.30pm
Council will consider all feedback before deciding upon a final Budget and final Council Plan at its meeting on Tuesday 27 June 2017. We will respond to each submitter to advise them of our decision on, or response to, their submission.