Location: Begin on the sealed pathway (entrance to the footbridge) on the corner of Midlothian Street and Prior Road, finishing at Forster Road.
Melways Reference: 69 F3
Level of Difficulty: Medium, with sealed paths, however distance may be demanding (Explanation of Terms)
Disability Access: Difficult (Explanation of Terms)
Facilities: Fitness equipment, playground, BBQ, shelter, toilets and lake at Brickmakers Park, with various facilities in surrounding areas
Distance: 5.5 km
Time: Allow 1.5 to 2 hours
Dogs: Caloola Reserve and Scotchman's Run Reserve - leash free
Important note: This walk begins and ends at different points.
- Begin this walk at the footbridge near the corner of Midlothian Street and Prior Road. Cross the footbridge over busy Warrigal Road. Continue straight along the sealed path. As the path winds around to the left you will come to a red footbridge. Cross the bridge and continue along the path crossing Drummond Street and keeping Scotchman's Creek on your left.
- To your right you will pass Caloola Reserve which is home to Soccer and Cricket. The Scotchman's Creek Linear Park Project Plaque can also be seen.
- Over Atkinson Street, approximately 100 meters on your left you will come to another footbridge. Cross this bridge, keeping Scotchman's Creek on your right.
- Continue along the path until you come to Park Road. Cross Park Road and turn right. Walk along Park Road past the Oakleigh Golf Course, Oakleigh Swimming Pool, Oakleigh Recreation Centre and the Oakleigh Tennis Club.
- Turn left into Bolche Place. Continue straight along Bolche Place to Brickmakers Park. Take the sealed path through Brickmakers Park. Admire the abundance of birdlife that can be seen around the park's wonderful lake.
- Beside the lake is the City of Oakleigh Plaque commemorating the lighting of the Eternal Flame, 12 July 1987. This flame structure can be seen on the island in the middle of the lake.
- Brickmakers Park is Oakleigh's prominent recreation area. It reflects the town's industrial history with historical brickmaking equipment on site. This can be seen on the Stamford Road side at the southern end of the park.
- Past the lake, take the path on the left that leads past the playground and picnic facilities. Leave the park and cross Stamford Road, turn right and link up with the sealed path that will take you to Scotchman's Run Reserve. Take the path on the right to the highest point of the Reserve. Here you have excellent views along the creek valley to the skyline of Melbourne.
- Continue to follow this path, which will bring you out to Estelle Street, where you turn right. Eventually you come to Huntingdale Road. Cross the road at the pedestrian lights in front of you, turning right to link up with the sealed path.
- On your left hand side is a part of the Melbourne Water Retarding Basin. As you walk along this path you will eventually walk under the South Eastern /Monash Freeway, and Stephensons Road. This path continues to follow the creek through very attractive settings.
- In order to complete this walk follow this path for another 2.5 km. Eventually you will come to Fairway Reserve. This is a great spot to have a well-earned rest! The path will bring you out to the carpark at Forster Road. This marks the end of yet another fantastic walk!
Last updated: 22 February 2011Back to main navigation Back to section navigation