Proposal to Make Local Law No. 1 of 2017
Community Amenity (Miscellaneous Amendments) Local Law
Notice is given that the City of Monash (Council) proposes to make a local law titled 'Local Law No. 1 of 2017 – Community Amenity (Miscellaneous Amendments) Local Law' (the Proposed Local Law).
The following information about the Proposed Local Law is provided in accordance with section 119 of the Local Government Act 1989 (Act):
Purpose of the Proposed Local Law
If made, the purposes of the Proposed Local Law will be to:
- Amend Council’s Local Law No.3 – Community Amenity; and
- Provide for the peace, order and good government of Council’s municipal district.
General Purport of the Proposed Local Law
If made, the Proposed Local Law will:
- Amend some maximum penalty amounts;
- Introduce a new defined term and make some amendments to existing defined terms;
- Provides for new exceptions from the:
- Prohibition on animals in Municipal Places; and
- Restrictions on the lighting and maintenance of fires; and
- Create offences relating to:
- Conducting filming in reserves or Council-controlled land;
- Failure to maintain a nature strip adjacent to land in areas other than residential areas; and
- Displaying offensive or inappropriate content on advertising signs.
For more information, see the report which Council considered at its meeting on 29 August 2017:
Report to Council meeting - proposed amendments to Local Law No.3 (Community Amenity) (pdf, 540KB)
Proposed Local Law: Community Amenity (Miscellaneous Amendments) Local Law (pdf, 117KB)
Community Impact Statement (pdf, 95KB)
Copies of the Proposed Local Law and the explanatory Community Impact Statement may also be inspected at Council’s Civic Centre, 293 Springvale Road, Glen Waverley and the Oakleigh Service Centre, 3 Atherton Road, Oakleigh during office hours.
Have Your Say
Any person may make a written submission relating to the Proposed Local Law.
All submissions received by Council on or before 4pm on Friday 6 October 2017, will be considered in accordance with section 223 of the Act.
Submitters should note that all submissions are made available to the public in full (including any personal information).
Any person making a submission is entitled to request (in the submission itself) to be heard in support of the submission by appearing before a committee of Council, comprising all Councillors (either personally or by a person acting on his or her behalf).
The date, time and location of the Submission Hearing will be provided to submitters requesting to be heard.
Submissions should be marked ‘S.223 Submission on Proposed Local Law No. 1 of 2017 – Community Amenity (Miscellaneous Amendments) Local Law' and:
- lodged at the Council's offices (Civic Centre, 293 Springvale Road, Glen Waverley and the Oakleigh Service Centre, 3 Atherton Road, Oakleigh) during office hours, or
- sent to Council at City of Monash, PO Box 1, Glen Waverley 3150, or
- emailed to email@example.com.
Enquiries should be directed to Greg Talbot, Manager Community Amenity, on 9518 3555.
Dr Andi Diamond
Chief Executive Officer