In October 2017, Council adopted the Domestic Animal Management Plan 2017-2021, which provides a strategic framework for policy direction and action plans related to animal management during the four-year period to 2021.
You can view the plan here: Domestic Animal Management Plan 2017-2021 (pdf, 1MB)
Here is the report Council considered before adopting the Plan at its October 2017 meeting: Report to Council meeting on Domestic Animal Management Plan (pdf, 168KB)
Enquiries: Clint Martin, Coordinator Community Laws, on 9518 3449 or Clint.Martin@monash.vic.gov.au
In early 2017, Council sought community views on a wide range of matters in the Community Survey: Monash 2021 & Beyond. Consultations included questions about animal management issues.
Council analysed responses and used the feedback to develop a Draft Plan. Community feedback was sought on the Draft Plan by Thursday 17 August 2017.
Community Survey Monash 2021 & Beyond – summary of results:
- 29% of the respondents indicated that they are dog owners and 15% of respondents indicated that they are cat owners.
- 39.4% of 868 respondents believes it is very important for Monash to have at least one fenced dog off-leash area and 25.92% believes it is important.
- 83.66% of respondents believes that residents who fail to register their pets should be fined.
- 31.69% of respondents have been affected by nuisance cats.
The key themes that have arisen through community consultation and the review of the Plan include:
- education program to encourage cat owners to keep cats inside at night to prevent roaming
- consideration of the feasibility of a dedicated fenced dog off-leash area
- promoting the registration of pets
- promoting de-sexing of pets
- strong support for the active enforcement of animal controls
- promoting responsible pet ownership, and
- reducing nuisance from barking dogs.
The DAM Plan incorporates the main issues raised by the community and through the internal review of the previous Plan.
Here is the report which Council considered at its meeting on 27 June 2017:
Council Report 27 June 2017 - Domestic Animal Management Plan (pdf, 120KB)
Monash Community Survey Summary (pdf, 95KB)
Domestic Animal Management Plan 2017-2021 (pdf, 1MB)