Council has approved a plan for a residential aged care facility development at 161-169 and 171 Jells Road, Wheelers Hill. The development includes the refurbishment of the existing aged care facility (Lifeview The Willows at 171 Jells Road).
At its meeting on 28 November 2017, Council resolved to issue a Notice of Decision to Grant a Planning Permit, subject to conditions.
Council sought community feedback on the proposal and received two objections.
Before the development starts, three copies of amended plans drawn to scale and dimensioned must be submitted to and approved by Council.
The submitted plans must clearly portray and highlight the changes. Once approved, the plans will be endorsed and will form part of the permit.
Below are some of the required modifications:
- On land at 161-169 Jells Road, between 3 and 12 metres from the southern boundary to 171 Jells Road, development must not exceed a height of 7 metres above natural surface level (excluding parapets and roof forms that enhances the articulation of the built form and improves the appearance of the building). This must be clearly dimensioned on elevation/section plans
- On land at 161-169 Jells Road, between 12 and 18 metres from the southern boundary to 171 Jells Road, development must not exceed a height of 10.5 metres above natural ground level (excluding parapets and roof forms that enhances the articulation of the built form and improves the appearance of the building). This must be clearly dimensioned on elevation/section plans
- On land at 161-169 Jells Road development must not exceed 14 metres above natural surface level. This must be clearly dimensioned on the elevation/section plans
- The proposed retaining wall along the Jells Road frontage (Ground floor level – TP11) and fencing (First floor – TP12) setback 3 metres from the Jells Road frontage
- Screening to prevent overlooking to all habitable room windows located within 9.0 metres of the boundary adjacent to the western boundary and the southern boundary adjacent to the secluded open space of 9/11-15 The Deviation
- The retention of the existing bus shelter at the Ferntree Gully Road frontage of the site
- Deletion of proposed signage.
For more information, see the report which Council considered before making its decision: Report to Council meeting on 161-171 Jells Road, Wheelers Hill. (PDF, 706KB)
Enquiries: Sue Monagle, Principal Planner, on 9518 3068.
About the proposal
The land at 161-169 Jells Road is currently vacant. The development site is located close to the Wheelers Hill Library, Monash Gallery of Art and Wheelers Hill Shopping Centre.
The applicant, Maview Pty Ltd, proposed a development that includes:
- Development of the land for a four-five storey residential aged care facility, comprising 206 bedsit rooms with ensuites
- Refurbishment of existing 56 bedsit rooms at the existing aged care facility (171 Jells Road, Wheelers Hill)
- A total of 137 car spaces inclusive of 108 new spaces (161-169 Jells Road) and 29 car spaces at the existing aged care facility (171 Jells Road)
- Vehicle access to the new development from Ferntree Gully Road.
Here are documents that have been submitted by the applicant:
Application for a Planning Permit (PDF, 171KB)
Planning Report (PDF, 3MB)
Urban Context Report (PDF, 5MB)
Architectural Plans - part 1 (PDF, 1MB)
Architectural Plans - part 2 (PDF, 10MB)
Landscape Plan (PDF, 6MB)
Certificate of Environmental Audit (PDF, 136KB)
Sustainability Management Plan (PDF, 6MB)
Traffic Engineering Assessment (PDF, 5MB)
Waste Management Report (PDF, 232KB)
Certificate of Title (PDF, 251KB)