Update - VCAT decision
The Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) has determined to issue an amended permit for a development at 1-9 Allen Street and 777-781 Warrigal Road, Oakleigh, as a consequence of compulsory conference (mediation) between parties including Council, objectors and the permit applicant.
Amended conditions resolved between parties require a 6.0m building setback along the eastern boundary adjacent to Scotchman’s Creek Linear Reserve.
The matter has now been resolved and merits hearing dates adjourned.
For more information, view VCAT's decision: 1-9 Allen Street and 777-781 Warrigal Road, Oakleigh (docx, 43KB)
Enquiries: James Heitmann, Principal Planner, on 9518 3628.
In October 2018, Council approved a plan for the construction of a residential aged care facility, comprising a two storey building with basement car parking, at 1-9 Allen Street and 777-781 Warrigal Road, Oakleigh.
Objectors appealed to the VCAT against Council's Notice of Decision to Grant a Permit. The permit applicant subsequently appealed to VCAT on conditions on the permit.
The matter was listed for a Practice Day hearing on Friday 8 February 2019, Compulsory Conference on Wednesday 27 March 2019 and a two-day Merits Hearing commencing Thursday 9 May 2019, which has now been adjourned following mediation between parties including Council, objectors and the permit applicant.
Background - approval
Council has approved a plan for the construction of a residential aged care facility, comprising a two storey building with basement car parking, at 1-9 Allen Street and 777-781 Warrigal Road, Oakleigh.
The $14.5 million development will comprise of 136 residential aged care beds/rooms, associated services, amenities and 60 car spaces.
At its October 2018 meeting, Council resolved to issue a Notice of Decision to Grant a Planning Permit, subject to more than 30 conditions.
Council sought community feedback on the proposal and received eight objections.
For more information of the conditions and development, see the report which Council considered before making its decision:
Report to Council meeting on 9-11 Allen Street and 777-781 Warrigal Road, Oakleigh. (pdf, 548KB)
About the proposal
The applicant, Steller Care Oakleigh Pty Ltd, proposed a $14.5 million development that includes:
- Demolition of all existing buildings on site
- Construction of a two-storey building with basement car parking
- Alteration (removal) of access to a Road Zone, Category 1
- The aged care facility will comrpise of 136 beds with various ancillary facilities and services including dining, lounge and cafe areas, gym, theatre, activity rooms and outdoor terraces
- A pick up and drop off area fronting Allen Street
- 60 car spaces including two disabled spaces and a loading bay area providing within the basement/lower ground floor. Staff rooms, kitchen, laundry and storage areas are also provided on this level
- Contemporary architectural appearance utilising a variety of materials and finishes including textured render facade, timber looking cladding, glazing and metal screening.
Here are documents that have been submitted by the applicant:
Title (pdf, 467KB)
Application Form (pdf, 1MB)
Arborist Report (pdf, 16MB)
Architectural Plans (pdf, 21MB)
Sustainability Management Plan (pdf, 7MB)
Landscape Plan (pdf, 7MB)
Planning Report (pdf, 4MB)
Survey Plan (pdf, 11MB)
Traffic Report (pdf, 11MB)
Urban Context Analysis (pdf, 5MB)