Expression of Interest (EOI)
We were looking for sports clubs to be involved in the 2018-19 CLUBS initiative, until Wednesday 28 November 2018.
Monash Council is providing sports clubs and their members with a unique opportunity to identify strengths and opportunities to promote gender equality in their club to create a more inclusive and welcoming environment.
Community Leaders United by Sport (CLUBS) is a gender equality initiative that will be delivered within 10 sporting clubs in the City of Monash focusing on the development of culture change champions (Club Champions).
CLUBS program will be led by the City of Monash in partnership with Link Health & Community and Monash University, and has been funded through Sport and Recreation Victoria.
To promote gender equality in sport and recreation within the City of Monash by:
- Challenging gender stereotypes and roles to create environments where everyone feels equal and respected;
- Increasing women’s participation in all aspects of sport and recreation including decision-making.
To apply, your club should nominate 2-3 Club Champions who will be able to represent your sporting club and should be passionate about making improvements to gender equality at their club. A mix of both active players and members of the board/committee is essential (e.g. at least 1 player and 1 committee member).
These representatives from each club if successful will have the opportunity to:
- Share with Council their thoughts and priorities for gender equity at their club
- Identify the greatest change they can make to support their club to create an inclusive and respectful environment
- Receive leadership training
- Be supported by council to develop and implement an action plan for positive change within the club
- Receive $1,000 for the club to put towards achieving change supportive of gender equality
Club champions will participate in focus groups that will identify and explore key issues and actions common amongst participating clubs. These focus groups will encourage a deeper understanding of the barriers to gender equity in sports clubs from a player and committee member perspective. The nominated representatives will also participate in leadership training to develop skills and build capacity to implement change.
How will CLUBS program be delivered?
All Monash clubs will be invited to submit an expression of interest nominating 2-3 Club Champions. This process will evaluate a club's readiness to participate. Buy-in and ongoing support will be required from the club’s administration to assist the champions to implement culture change. Ten (10) clubs will be selected through this process.
A dedicated Council Project Officer will be employed three (3) days a week to provide support to the club champions. The Council officer will work together with the representatives to identify specific tools and actions that can help to provide opportunities within your club to create respectful and inclusive sports environments.
How will successful clubs be supported?
Clubs that participate in this pilot program will benefit from Council’s support and will be well placed to become leaders in the community in gender equality. Working alongside Council will help to highlight the community benefit clubs provide. By successfully completing the program, sports clubs will be better positioned to apply for future funding opportunities to grow their club.
Being selected for the CLUBS program will provide many opportunities for the champions, the clubs and their members including:
- A leadership training course for the nominated champions
- Opportunity to express views for change
- Access to $1,000 to implement change actions
- An improved and welcoming club environment
- Potential for increased membership (and increased revenue)
- Accessing a larger pool of volunteers
- Access to a new range of skills and abilities on and off field
- Clubs being truly representative of their communities
- Club environments becoming more inclusive and respectful
- Stronger, healthier, more supportive local communities
- Promotional opportunities for each club
What does being a part of CLUBS program look like?
The training and support program is available at no cost to successful clubs, through a grant from Sport and Recreation Victoria.
Each club champion will agree to prioritise time to be involved in the CLUBS activities to be run in the early months of 2019. A time will be decided upon, but will require commitment to be a part of a leadership training module and attend a small number of focus group sessions during the evening.
Successful clubs agree to participate and support a City of Monash evaluation administered by the CLUBS Project Officer.
For additional support, a Community of Practice will be established that will support the implementation of club-specific actions and identify joint priority areas. This approach will strengthen the currently limited examples of a whole-of-sport approach.
Please note: This expression of interest form will be assessed against other applications to determine which clubs will receive support. All sports clubs in the City of Monash were eligible to apply.
Liz Fitzgerald, CLUBS Project Officer:
Call Liz on 9518 3425 or email at Liz.Fitzgerald@monash.vic.gov.au