Council is seeking community feedback on its draft 2018/19 Budget.
The draft budget is aligned to the vision in the Council Plan 2017-2021 and proposes a $43 million capital works program that includes significant community infrastructure upgrades.
The program includes upgrades to sports ground, bike paths, sports pavilions, children’s playspaces, footpaths and drainage. A major project is the first stage of construction of the Oakleigh Recreation Centre upgrade to substantially improve the 41 year old facility and create a new home for the Waverley Gymnastics Club.
The draft budget proposes a 3.53% average rate cap increase. This is 1.28% above the 2.25% rate cap set by the State Government and required Council to apply to the Essential Services Commission for the variance.
This would mean an increase to ratepayers, on average of around $20 a year.
The reason for this variance is the increased cost of $1.5 million that Council must now meet for its recycling service, following the ban on recycled materials by China.
Council had previously received a rebate each year from our contractor. Council is now required to pay for the service.
The ESC is currently considering Council's application. If it is unsuccessful, Council will consider introducing a separate waste charge to meet the $1.5 million cost.
Other key features of the draft Budget include:
- $5 million for road reconstruction and renewal, including the reconstruction of Atherton Road, Oakleigh ($2.8 million) which will continue into 2019/20
- $4.1 million to renew Council’s footpaths in keeping with community expectations
- $3.1 million for recreational, leisure and community facilities including redevelopment of the Holmesglen sportsground ($800,000)
- Start construction of a multi-sport pavilion at Caloola Reserve ($2.67 million in 2018/19)
- $1.2 million for playspace upgrades at Adrian Street (Chadstone), Glen Waverley North Reserve, Dennis Court (Clayton), Mannering Drive (Glen Waverley) and Catherine Avenue (MountWaverley).
More information: Draft Council Budget 2018/19 (pdf, 3MB)
Find out more
If you have any questions please contact:
- Simone Wickes, Manager Finance, 9518 3638.
Making a submission
If you would like to provide suggestions or comments to Council about the draft Budget, please make a submission by Monday 28 May 2018. You can make a written submission via:
- Mail to: Monash Council, PO Box 1, Glen Waverley 3150 or
- Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Drop in to: Monash Civic Centre (293 Springvale Road, Glen Waverley) between 8.15am-5pm, Monday-Friday
Please provide your name and address with your written submission so we can respond to you. Everyone who makes a submission will have the opportunity to speak to their submission at a Council meeting, which will be held at the Monash Civic Centre on Tuesday 12 June 2018.
Council will consider all feedback before deciding on a final Budget at its meeting on Tuesday 26 June 2018. We will respond to each submitter to advise them of our decision on, or in response to, their submission.