Council is seeking community feedback on its draft 2019/20 Budget until Wednesday 29 May, 2019.
The draft budget is aligned to the vision in the Council Plan 2017-2021 and proposes a $64 million capital works program, our largest ever spending on community infrastructure.
At the same time, Monash will continue to have the lowest average rates of all 79 Victorian Councils on a per capita basis.
The projects outlined in the draft Budget are in response to community feedback about the need to continue improving important community infrastructure and assets including playspaces, drains and footpaths, and sporting facilities.
The program includes upgrades to children's playspaces, sports grounds and pavilions, footpaths and drainage. A major project is the first stage of construction of the $23.3 million upgrade to the Oakleigh Recreation Centre to substantially improve the 42 year old facility and create a new home for the Waverley Gymnastics Club.
The draft budget proposes a 2.5% average rate cap increase, an increase of around $30 a year for the average residential ratepayer.
Monash is in the position of having secured its household recycling collection until 31 March 2020. However, China’s ban on some recycling materials has resulted in an unexpected net cost to Council of $1.5 million per year. To meet this cost, last year we introduced a limited recycling levy of $22 per ratepayer (excluding pensioners). We are recommending that this levy continue in 2019/20 and will review it again in June 2020.
Other key features of the draft Budget include:
- $4.9 million for road reconstruction and renewal, including the completion of reconstruction of Atherton Road, Oakleigh
- $5.7 million to renew Council’s footpaths and cycleways in keeping with community expectations
- $2.1 million to upgrade stormwater infrastructure and drainage
- $3.2 million for recreational, leisure and community facilities
- $900,000 for playspace upgrades at Evelyn Street Reserve (Clayton); Electra Reserve (Ashwood); Melissa Street (Mount Waverley) and a fantastic sensory playspace with an accessible explorer trail at Wellesley Road (Glen Waverley).
More information: Draft Council Budget 2019/20 (pdf, 3MB)
Find out more
If you have any questions please contact:
- Simone Wickes, Manager Financial Services, 9518 3638.
Making a submission
If you would like to provide suggestions or comments to Council about the draft Budget, please make a submission by 5pm, Wednesday 29 May 2019. You can make a written submission via:
- Mail to: Monash Council, PO Box 1, Glen Waverley 3150, or
- Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Drop in to: Monash Civic Centre (293 Springvale Road, Glen Waverley) between 8.15am-5pm, Monday-Friday
Please provide your name and address with your written submission so we can respond to you.
Everyone who has made a submission will have the opportunity to speak to their submission at a Council meeting, which will be held at the Monash Civic Centre on Tuesday 11 June 2019.
Council will consider all feedback before deciding on a final Budget at its meeting on Tuesday 25 June 2019. We will respond to each submitter to advise them of our decision on, or in response to, their submission.
The personal information you provide will only be used:
- To enable processing of your submission as per the legislative requirements
- To enable contact if there are any questions about your submission
- In a future Council report to incorporate a summary of submissions as appendices and therefore be available to the public. Personal information such as names, addresses, and contact phone numbers will be removed.
- Submissions that contain information deemed inappropriate will not be published on the website or incorporated into Council reports.
Council will not use your personal information for any other purpose, and will not disclose it, without your consent except as required or authorised by law.
If you have any concerns about the use and disclosure of personal information please contact Council's Information Privacy Officer Joanne McKay at Joanne.McKay@monash.vic.gov.au or on 9518 3081.