Council sought community feedback on its draft 2020/21 Budget until 5pm, Thursday 30 July 2020.
Council has made the unprecedented decision in its draft budget to introduce a waiver on Council rates for the 2020/21 financial year as a gesture of support for the Monash community in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The waiver is on the grounds of financial hardship under section 171 of the Local Government Act 1989. This means that whilst rates will go up by an average of 2% ratepayers will then be provided with a 10% waiver.
We believe Monash is the only Council to Victoria to propose a cut in rates across the board, recognising the impact of COVID-19 on the Monash community. The waiver applies to all 81,319 ratepayers in Monash.
It’s a decision Council has been able to make because of prudent financial planning over many years.
Monash Council remains the metropolitan Council with the lowest rates on a rate per assessment basis and the lowest rates for any council in the State on a per capita basis.
COVID-19 has had a significant impact on everyone in Monash and no-one can be 100% sure what lies ahead economically and emotionally but we believe this draft budget strikes the right balance.
More information: Draft Council Budget 2020/21 (pdf, 8MB)
Council has taken up the option offered by the State Government to delay the introduction of the Budget due to COVID-19. The draft budget will go before the 25 August Council meeting for adoption.
As a result of this change, the delivery of rate notices for the 2020/21 financial year will be delayed until early September 2020. The usual 10 instalment payment plan offered by Council will therefore be reduced to 9 instalments.
Council has secured State and Federal funding as part of the COVID-19 recovery packages to put towards key infrastructure projects:
- A further $4.57M towards the Oakleigh Recreation Centre, including Federal Government funding of $2.39M, external contribution of $750K and Council contributions of $1.44M. The project will completed in 2020 with a total budget of $25.2M
Roads and footpaths
- Various roads reconstruction programs $4.48M, which includes $1.48M external grant funding
- $3.25M to renew Council's footpaths (estimated up to 40,000m²) and $1.2M to address the resurfacing of local roads in keeping with community expectations
- The State Government, through Sport and Recreation Victoria, has committed $2M towards the improvement of eight outdoor netball courts at Jells Park. Detailed design is complete and total project costs including the outdoor courts precinct plan is $2.40M. Council’s contribution to the project is $397K
- Construction of a multi-sport pavilion at Caloola Reserve $2.01M to complement the completed tennis courts at the site
- $1.92M for construction commencement of the Brentwood Reserve Pavilion
- Design and construction of Mulgrave Reserve pavilion will proceed at an estimated cost of $1.80M plus carry forward $150K from last year, including a state grant of $900K.
Children and families
- $2.25M to continue the design and planning of an Integrated Child & Family Hub at Wellington Kindergarten & Mulgrave Park in year 2. This project will be completed by 2021/22 with a total budget of $4.52M, including $1M in grants from the State Government.
Find out more
If you have any questions please contact:
- Simone Wickes, Manager Financial Services, 9518 3638.
Making a submission
If you would like to provide suggestions or comments to Council about the draft Budget, please make a submission by 5pm, Thursday 30 July 2020. You can make a written submission via:
Please provide your name and address with your written submission so we can respond to you. Everyone who makes a submission will have the opportunity to speak to their submission at a meeting, which will be held at the Monash Civic Centre on Tuesday 11 August 2020.
Council will consider all feedback before deciding on a final Budget at its meeting on Tuesday 25 August 2020. We will respond to each submitter to advise them of our decision on, or in response to, their submission.
The personal information you provide will only be used:
- To enable processing of your submission as per the legislative requirements
- To enable contact if there are any questions about your submission
- In a future Council report to incorporate a summary of submissions as appendices and therefore be available to the public. Personal information such as names, addresses, and contact phone numbers will be removed.
- Submissions that contain information deemed inappropriate will not be published on the website or incorporated into Council reports.
Council will not use your personal information for any other purpose, and will not disclose it, without your consent except as required or authorised by law.
If you have any concerns about the use and disclosure of personal information please contact Council's Information Privacy Officer Rob Pedder at Robert.Pedder@monash.vic.gov.au or on 9518 3081.