Council has prepared a draft Monash Urban Landscape and Canopy Vegetation Strategy to look at what defines 'garden city' character, what can be done to improve this characteristic and how to balance development and greening of the landscape.
The 'garden city' character of Monash is highly valued by residents and is a defining feature of the municipality.
However, as Monash has grown, there has been a noticeable change to the leafy green character in some areas of the city.
We are now seeking community feedback (survey and drop in sessions) on this draft strategy.
Information Brochure - Summary of the Strategy (pdf, 4MB)
Draft Monash Urban Landscape and Canopy Vegetation Strategy (pdf, 5MB)
Implementing the Monash Urban Landscape and Canopy Vegetation Strategy – a discussion paper (pdf, 1MB)
More information is available under Item 1.1 (Agenda/Minutes) to the Council Meeting held on 29 May 2018.
This is an aspirational strategy that recommends a number of outcomes including:
- A target of 30% canopy vegetation cover by 2030. Monash's tree canopy is currently at 22%, lower than neighbouring muncipalities of Whitehorse (23%), Stonnington (25%) and Boroondara (28%).
- Identifying the existing and referred landscape character types
- The possible introduction of planning scheme controls and/or a new local law to protect significant trees and canopy trees
- Guidelines to maximise retention of mature trees on private and public land and provide guidance on appropriate plant selection and planting.
The strategy looks at the factors that may be impacting on vegetation including:
- new developments in established residential area
- limited canopy vegetation and greening in commercial/industrial precincts
- the need to increase large canopy trees in public open space
- the impact of climate change, including severe weather events, on the health of existing and proposed trees.
Existing and preferred landscape character types
Select areas via Index page or use links below:
Monash character types boundaries map - INDEX (pdf, 1MB)
Ashwood/Burwood (pdf, 1MB)
Chadstone 1 (pdf, 2MB)
Chadstone 2 (pdf, 982KB)
Mount Waverley 1 (pdf, 3MB)
Mount Waverley 2 (pdf, 3MB)
Mount Waverley 3 (pdf, 3MB)
Mount Waverley 4 (pdf, 3MB)
Mount Waverley 5 (pdf, 3MB)
Glen Waverley 1 (pdf, 1MB)
Glen Waverley 2 (pdf, 3MB)
Glen Waverley 3 (pdf, 3MB)
Glen Waverley 4 (pdf, 4MB)
Glen Waverley 5 (pdf, 4MB)
Hughesdale (pdf, 3MB)
Oakleigh (pdf, 4MB)
Oakleigh East (pdf, 3MB)
Oakleigh South 1 (pdf, 2MB)
Oakleigh South 2 (pdf, 3MB)
Notting Hill (pdf, 3MB)
Clayton 1 (pdf, 3MB)
Clayton 2 (pdf, 3MB)
Mulgrave 1 (pdf, 3MB)
Mulgrave 2 (pdf, 4MB)
Mulgrave 3 (pdf, 2MB)
Mulgrave 4 (pdf, 2MB)
Wheelers Hill 1 (pdf, 4MB)
Wheelers Hill 2 (pdf, 3MB)
Wheelers Hill 3 (pdf, 4MB)