As Monash’s population continues to grow, it is important residents have access to quality public open space for them to enjoy.
The draft Monash Open Space Strategy has been prepared in response to the community’s desire for more open space. It will be used to guide Council in providing open space now and in the future. The draft Strategy looks at what the future needs of the community might be over the next 10 years and how to plan for them.
For more information, please see the report which Council considered at its 25 July 2017 meeting:
Report to Council meeting on Draft Monash Open Space Strategy (PDF, 209KB)
Council sought community feedback (comments on the Interactive map, survey and email submissions) on the draft Monash Open Space Strategy until Friday 27 October 2017.
Community members were invited to attend drop-in information sessions held in various venues throughout the City of Monash in October.
If you would like to discuss the Draft Monash Open Space Strategy, please contact Council’s Strategic Planning Team on 9518 3555.
The principles that underpin this plan:
- Equitable access to open space for all residents regardless of where they live, their age, gender, income, ethnicity, education or ability
- Diversity of opportunities and experiences to ensure all residents can use and benefit from open space
- Quality (fit for purpose) – ensuring that the function of an open space meets the requirements and agreed core service levels for that function
- Sustainability – in design, development and management of open space
- Dependency – some people, activities and assets are dependent on the inherent natural qualities of open space reserves. And as a priority, open space should support activities and users who are more dependent upon it
- Environmental protection enhancement and appreciation including the protection of canopy trees, habitat, flora and fauna and waterways
Draft Monash Open Space Strategy
Executive summary (PDF, 171KB)
Introduction (PDF, 543KB)
Convenient and functional open space to serve the growing population (PDF, 628KB)
Open space to suit increasing density (PDF, 274KB)
Trail circuits to move through open space and connect with nature (PDF, 254KB)
Managing spaces for sustainable sport (PDF, 155KB)
Involving community and encouraging more people to benefit from open space (PDF, 360KB)
Gaps in distribution and opportunities- by precinct (PDF, 23MB)
Funding the implementation of this strategy (PDF, 162KB)
Summary of recommended actions (PDF, 134KB)
Appendices (PDF, 159KB)
Interactive Map - comments