Nominations are invited from Monash community members interested in joining Monash's Environmental Advisory Committee (EAC) until 30 June 2020.
This Committee informs and advises Council on environmental and sustainability-related issues and our role in improving the natural environment of Monash. In particular the Committee advises on the implementation, monitoring and review of the Environmental Sustainability Strategy 2016-2026 and subsequent plans, strategies and actions.
The term is for two years from 2020-2022 and there are up to 13 positions available.
Current members may reapply. The current Councillor representatives on the Committee are Cr Stuart James (Mayor), Cr Josh Fergeus, and Cr Brian Little.
Within the Environmental Sustainability Strategy 2016-2026, there are seven (7) priority areas:
- Built Environment
- Urban Ecology
- Climate Change
- Waste and Resource Management
- Integrated Water Management
- Partnerships and Leadership
- Education, Engagement and Reporting
One of the most recent achievements that EAC contributed to was the Council commitment to go Zero Net GHG emissions by 2025. Council aims to achieve representation of community members with expertise aligned to one or more of the above listed priority areas.
Council also aims to achieve representation of committee members from the different geographic areas across Monash and to have an age, cultural/ethnic backgrounds and gender balance.
In appointing members, Council considers issues such as:
- knowledge and understanding of the environmental and sustainability issues and considerations in the Monash community
- interest and involvement in local and/or broader environmental and sustainability activities
- interest and understanding of local government services and programs from an environmental and sustainability perspective
- ability to contribute to the strategic development and implementation of environmental and sustainability policy at local government level
- experience and understanding of the role of an advisory committee.
Terms of Reference
Terms of Reference - Environmental Advisory Committee (pdf, 257KB)
Nominations open until Tuesday 30 June 2020.
If you require more information, please call Trish McGee, Coordinator Sustainability, on 9518 3733 or email EACSupport@monash.vic.gov.au.