Update - VCAT Appeal
An applicant has lodged a Failure to Determine appeal with the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) on a proposal for the construction of a four storey residential aged care facility and a medical centre at 1-9 Allen Street & 777-781 Warrigal Road, Oakleigh.
The matter has been listed for a Practice Day Hearing on Friday 14 June 2019 at 10am, Compulsory Conference on Friday 2 August 2019 at 2pm and a two-day Merits Hearing commencing Monday 16 September 2019 at 10am.
Objectors can lodge a Statement of Grounds (pdf, 51KB) by Monday 5 June 2019.
The application was on the agenda for determination of decision at the 30 April 2018 Council Meeting prior to Council receiving notice of the appeal lodgment.
Council at its meeting of 30 April 2019 resolved to refuse application TPA/49990 for the construction of a four storey residential aged care facility including use of premises for a medical centre.
Council refused to support the proposal on the following grounds:
1. The proposal is inconsistent with the Residential Development Policy and Residential Development and Character Policy at Clauses 16.01-7S, 21.04 and 22.01 of the Monash Planning Scheme.
2. The proposal is inconsistent with the Monash Housing Strategy 2014.
3. The proposal does not satisfy the purpose of Clause 53.17 of the Monash Planning Scheme.
4. The proposal does not adequately satisfy the objectives of the Neighbourhood Residential Zone.
5. The proposal is out of character with the existing development in the area in particular with regard to building height, mass, bulk and scale.
6. The proposal would have a detrimental impact on the amenity of surrounding land.
7. The design details of the medical centre does not allow easy and convenient access to the medical centre.
A copy of the officer’s report and recommendation can be found here :
Report to Council Meeting - 30 April 2019 (pdf, 540KB)
Enquiries: Jeanny Lui, Principal Planner 9518 3494
Council sought community feedback on a proposal for a four storey residential aged care facility and medical centre at 1-9 Allen Street and 777-781 Warrigal Road, Oakleigh.
Please note that this is a new application and separate to the previous application TPA/48803 currently before VCAT.
Feedback was formally sought by Tuesday 5 March 2019.
The applicant, Stellar Care Oakleigh Pty Ltd, proposes a $25 million development that includes:
- 155 bed residential aged care facility and associated ancillary facilities (wellness area, theatre room, community space, billiards room, library, café, activity room and communal lounge areas)
- 257m2 medical centre accommodating up to 5 practitioners
- 56 on site car spaces within a basement car park area accessed from Allen Street
- Porte-cochere along the Allen Street frontage providing for short-term pick-up and drop-off parking
- Pedestrian access to the medical centre via Warrigal Road
- 31 on site bicycle parking spaces.
We held a 'drop in' information session for community members who were interested in finding out more.
Enquiries: James Heitmann, Principal Planner, on 9518 3628.
Here are documents that have been submitted by the applicant:
Application Form (pdf, 2MB)
Title (pdf, 4MB)
Architectural Plans (pdf, 16MB)
Town Planning and Urban Context Report (pdf, 4MB)
Landscape Plan (pdf, 7MB)
Arboricultural Assessment (pdf, 8MB)
Complex Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Management Plan (pdf, 14MB)
Sustainability Management Plan (pdf, 15MB)
Public Information Session
As part of the consultation process a public information ‘drop in’ session was held on:
- Thursday 21 February 2019
- Monash Seminar and Training Centre
- 1a Atherton Road, Oakleigh
- 6.30pm - 8pm
This was an informal ‘drop in’ session to provide additional information about the proposal. No formal presentation took place at the information session.
Plans and application documents were displayed at the information session and Council officers were in attendance to answer any questions about the proposal and planning process.
How to provide feedback
Persons wishing to lodge an objection to the new application will need to lodge a separate objection to the current application TPA/49990.
Any person who may be affected by the proposal may lodge an objection or provide feedback to Council. Objections must be made in writing.
Objections should detail any concerns you have regarding the proposal, reasons for the objection, how you would be affected by the proposal and include your name, postal address and reference to TPA/49990.
Please provide feedback/objection in writing to Council by Tuesday 5 March 2019.
Please quote the Application Number TPA/49990.
Planning Objection Form
Planning Objection Form