A developer appealed to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) after Council refused a proposal in January 2018 for a 10 storey building comprising hotel, retirement village, child care centre, medical centre and food and drink premises, at 445-467 Blackburn Road, Mount Waverley.
VCAT will now be the body that decides whether the proposal goes ahead.
Following a VCAT Compulsory Conference on Tuesday 3 July 2018, the applicant lodged amended plans with VCAT. The amended plans will be considered by VCAT at the upcoming four-day Merits Hearing scheduled to commence on Monday 20 August 2018. The amended plans, statement of changes and other supporting documents are available below.
Enquiries: James Heitmann, Principal Planner, on 9518 3628.
Summary of the key changes to the proposal:
- Deletion of 47 apartments
- Provision of 15 townhouses (previously 10 townhouses)
- Provision of 86 hotel rooms (previously 120 hotel rooms)
- Provision of 8 serviced apartments (unchanged)
- Provision of 108 independent living units/over 55s retirement living (previously 60 independent living units)
- Provision of 246 on-site car spaces (previously 135) including an additional level of basement car parking
- Childcare centre relocated to level 3 (previously located on level 4)
- Modification to the layout of the development
- Modification to the proposed facade treatment and facade detailing.
Here are the documents that have been submitted as part of the amended plans:
Statement of Changes (pdf, 313KB)
Notice of Amendment (pdf, 234KB)
Amended Plans (pdf, 50MB)
Additional Information (pdf, 3MB)
Lodging an amended/new Statement of Grounds
All existing Statements of Grounds will be considered by VCAT as part of its assessment of the amended plans. Existing parties to the matter may amend their existing Statement of Grounds if they wish to do so. There is no obligation to lodge an amended Statement of Grounds unless a party wishes to modify the issues raised previously with VCAT. Any other person (including new or additional parties to the matter) may lodge a Statement of Grounds with VCAT.
Amended of new Statement of Grounds must be lodged by Thursday 2 August 2018. Here is the form you can download and fill in:
Statement of Grounds (pdf, 158KB)
A copy of the Statement of Grounds must also be provided to Monash Council (the responsible authority) and the applicant's representative.
Council sought community feedback on the proposal and received 23 objections.
At its meeting on Tuesday 30 January 2018, Council resolved to issue a Notice of Decision to Refuse to Grant a Planning Permit on the following grounds:
- The proposal is inconsistent with the Residential Development Policy and Residential Development and Character Policy at Clauses 21.04 and 22.01 of the Monash Planning Scheme
- The proposal is not consistent with the objectives, strategies and urban design principles of Clause 15.01 of the Monash Planning Scheme
- The proposal is out of character with the existing development in the surrounding area
- The proposed scale and form of the development is excessive and unjustified
- The proposal would have a poor level of internal amenity for future residents
- The proposal would have a detrimental impact on the amenity of surrounding land
- The proposal is considered an overdevelopment of the land
- The proposal does not provide for sufficient car parking
- The application does not provide for sufficient bicycle facilities
- The proposed land use is inadequately justified and inappropriate having regard to the proper and orderly planning of the area
- The proposal does not satisfy the requirements of VicRoads.
For more information, see the report which Council considered before making its decision: Report to Council meeting on 445-467 Blackburn Road, Mount Waverley (pdf, 704KB)
About the proposal
The land at 445-467 Blackburn Road, Mount Waverley, is currently occupied by the Bruce County Hotel and Conference Centre. The proposed development site is located close to the Pinewood Shopping Centre. The proposal included demolition of the existing hotel.
The applicant, Bc Mount Waverley Project Pty Ltd, proposed a development that includes:
- Demolition of the existing hotel
- Construction of a mixed use building comprising a total of 120 hotel rooms, 10 townhouses, 47 residential apartments, 8 serviced apartments, child care centre with maximum 140 children, allied health facility/ medical centre with 12 practitioners, 60 independent living units - retirement village, food and drink premises and a convenience shop
- A total of 135 car parking spaces to be provided within one basement level
- Vehicle access to the new development via a new vehicle crossing in Lemont Avenue.
Here are documents that have been submitted by the applicant:
Application for a Planning Permit (pdf, 558KB)
Planning Report: Urban Context Report and Design Response (pdf, 2MB)
Plans: part 1 (Location, Site Analysis, Site Plan, Demolition/Surveying) (pdf, 8MB)
Plans: part 2 (Floor Plans) (pdf, 9MB)
Plans: part 3 (Elevations, Typical Apartments, Shadow Diagrams) (pdf, 7MB)
Plans: part 4 (Artist Impressions) (pdf, 8MB)
Landscape Plan (pdf, 3MB)
Arboricultural Assessment (pdf, 5MB)
Sustainability Management Plan (pdf, 6MB)
Traffic Report (pdf, 1MB)
Certificate of Title (pdf, 3MB)