A new playspace in Galbally Reserve (Hughesdale) opened in June 2019.
The Level Crossing Removal Authority, with Council’s permission, used part of reserve as part of the elevated rail works. Once these works were completed, LXRA committed to reinstate the barbecue, replace trees and restore the surface of the park and contributed $150,000 to Council’s redevelopment plans for the area.
Here is the concept plan for the playspace:
Draft concept plan for Galbally Reserve playspace (pdf, 2MB)
To come up with the concept plan, Council first asked for the community's ideas in 2016. Council then sought feedback on the design concept in July 2018.
Key play elements include:
- Combination Unit with senior and junior slide
- Triple swing set with basket swing, infant seat and strap seat
- Cyclone Net Carousel
- Multi age fitness play equipment
- Basketball court with foursquare markings
- Junior and toddler play train
- Mini forest
- Play traffic learning sign.
Other elements of the project include:
- Installation of bike storage racks
- Installation of bench seating, new picnic shelter and BBQ
- Installation of bins
- Planting more trees and other vegetation.
Earlier in 2016, Council sought ideas and feedback from the community for an upgraded playspace in Galbally Reserve, Hughesdale.
Some of the community ideas were incorporated into a draft concept plan. Local residents were invited to provide feedback on the draft plan until Friday 13 July 2018.