Monash Public Library Service (MPLS) commenced operations in 1994 with the amalgamation of the former Cities of Oakleigh and Waverley.
The Library Service has six library branches; Clayton, Glen Waverley, Mount Waverley, Oakleigh, Wheelers Hill and Mulgrave Neighbourhood Library, which are open a total of 323 hours per week.
The library also provides a Home Library Service for vulnerable community members people who cannot access the library, specialist collections in 21 languages and a website, which provides 24/7 access to our online catalogue and databases.
One plan and one vision for a whole community
Four Year Strategy Summary
Purpose: To encourage lifelong learning, increase literacy and build strong resilient communities across the City of Monash.
Vision: Be an integral part of a connected community, that is empowered by learning, and inspired by information and ideas.
- Our diverse community
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Embracing change
- Excellent customer service
Monash Public Library Service will be recognized as a safe and trusted space for the whole community. It will be the community’s living room and the driver of the civic curriculum as it fosters and facilitates content curation, learning and discovery. It will build social capital and foster social inclusion in spaces that showcase emerging technologies.
Four Pillars of Action: Literacy, Connect, Discover and Empower.
High quality literacy initiatives impacting the community.
- Lifelong literacy programs
- Have a collection that reflects our community
- Greater integration with Council services around whole of life literacy development
Partnerships and services that meet community need.
- Celebrate diversity in our City
- Explore outreach and pop-up opportunities
- Review accessibility to our service
Increased community participation in service offerings/initiatives.
- Facilitate new learning groups
- Ensure currency of LMS reflects our community
- Provide opportunities for inspiration and ideas
High levels of staff engagement.
- Targeted professional development and training opportunities
- Build awareness and connections with other Council teams
Action Plan 2019-2020
Please read the booklet: Public Library Service Action Plan 2019-2020 (pdf, 3MB)
To request the Action Plan in another format, please call Janet Salvatore, Acting Manager Libraries, on 9518 3039 or email Janet.Salvatore@monash.vic.gov.au