Local Law No 3 - Community Amenity

Overhanging vegetation

On 31 October 2017, Monash Council made a new local law, to be referred to as Local Law No. 1 of 2017 – Community Amenity (Miscellaneous Amendments) Local Law, which comes into operation on 1 December 2017. Please read: Notice of Making a Local Law.

Monash has four local laws which are in place to protect the amenity of Monash and the safety of all those who come to be in it.

These local laws cover many aspects of daily life such as keeping footpaths and walkways clear of vegetation, sharing the available parking fairly, reducing risks and ensuring the proper procedures are followed in Council meetings and elections.

This section outlines laws relating to daily life that protect the amenity of Monash. 

We encourage the community to be responsible for keeping Monash a safe and enjoyable place to live and work by complying with our local laws.

Please read: Local Law No 3 (PDF, 248KB) and Local Law 3A - No Smoking in Playgrounds

Some of the local laws are outlined below:

The below permit covers a number of uses including container storage, general fundraising and fireworks.

Local Law General Permit (PDF, 878KB)

Abandoned Vehicles

Any vehicle that has been abandoned on the street or on any council land may be impounded. Abandoned cars spoil the amenity of local streets and take up valuable parking spaces. If a car is found to be unregistered or declared abandoned by Council, an Abandoned Vehicle Sticker is placed on the vehicle by Council staff. The owner then has seven days to remove the vehicle from the road or Council land or risk a fine of $343.20 or the car being impounded.

If the vehicle is considered to pose a risk to public safety, for example it is causing a traffic hazard, Council will tow it immediately. If a car is towed, the owner is charged a fee. Abandoned vehicles that have been impounded are stored at a Council facility.

Fire Hazard

Fire prevention is a matter requiring the support of the whole community. As the weather warms up after spring, ratepayers must remove long grass and any materials that may be, or may become, a fire hazard. If a property is, or is likely to become, a fire hazard a fire prevention notice will be sent to the landowner directing them to remove the cause of the problem. Apart from the risk of fire, overgrown properties or those with accumulated flammable material look unsightly, attract snakes and vermin and detract from the amenity of the area. If a landowner fails to comply with a fire prevention notice, the land may be compulsorily cleared with all costs passed on to the property owner in addition to any fines issued.

Property Maintenance

Ratepayers must implement a regular maintenance program on their property to ensure all long grass is slashed and other potential fire hazards are identified and removed. It is important to be aware of late summer growth as this can become a late fire hazard.

Property owners should keep grass cut so as not to exceed 150mm. Stored dry grass, dry tree branches and dry or dead vegetation should be removed or isolated so they don't become a fire hazard. Under the Metropolitan Fire Brigades Act and regulations, people can be fined in excess of $500 if they allow their property to become a fire hazard.

Council Officers are happy to discuss suitable maintenance programs with property owners or any other fire prevention issues.

Incinerator/Open Air Burning

Keeping the air clean in Monash is important to ratepayers and any use of an incinerator is banned.

Open Air Burning/Burning Off can be conducted with a permit from the Local Laws Department only on Thursdays and Saturdays between 10am and 3pm (conditions apply). The Council Officer issuing the permit must be satisfied that there is a justifiable reason for the burning off to take place and that it will be conducted in a safe manner. A fee of $86.50 applies.

Billboard Advertising, Charity Collectors

Organisations must apply for a permit to erect Billboard Advertising and collect for charity. Billboards can be used by community organisations to publicise events. Permits are required to place billboards on several pre-determined, strategically located Council sites.

Charity collectors are required to obtain a permit before collecting in local streets. They must go through an application process but if they are a charity there will be no cost for the permit. The permit allows the charity to collect gifts or subscriptions on a road or Council land and sets out the time, date and place they can collect.

The permit system is in place to ensure we don't have competing collectors operating in the same area and that collectors are legitimate.The charity is required to stick to the conditions of the permit, have insurance and operate in the location specified on the application. The fine for collecting without a permit is $200.

If people feel they are being harassed by charity collectors, they should contact Council on 9518 3555.

Signs, Goods and Furniture on Footpath

Business owners must obtain a permit from Council if they wish to use the footpath outside their premises to display a sign, goods, tables and chairs or umbrellas. This is to ensure that pedestrians can easily walk along the footpath.

For more information: Footpath Trading and Access Policy -application forms and fact sheets, or call 9518 3555.

Street Performing

Street performers are required by Council to apply for a permit. Performers must be 16 years or older however a child under 16 can busk if the application is supported by an adult and the adult is present at the time of the performance.

Street Performance Busker Permit (PDF, 677KB)

Noxious Weeds

Blackberry bushes are noxious weeds and must be permanently removed if growing on any properties in Monash.

Municipal Amenity

Council encourages all members of the community to take responsibility for maintaining Monash as a pleasant place to be. It is an offence to dump or store any items, rubbish or discarded goods on any Council land or roadway. Posting bills or notices on signposts, light poles or traffic light poles is not permitted.

Property owners are required to maintain their properties so they are not unsightly or detrimental to neighbouring properties. This includes making sure grass is cut, rubbish is removed and the property is clean and tidy.

Building Sites

It is important that builders ensure that their activities do not negatively impact on nearby residents. Any mud, dirt or sand from the site should be removed from the adjoining footpath and roadway. In dry weather water trucks should be kept on site to minimise dust emissions. The works must not cause a nuisance or unreasonably interfere with people on properties adjoining the site. A fine of $200 applies.

School Crossings

School Crossing Supervisors play an important role in ensuring safety for children using school crossings. Safety can also be improved by drivers ensuring that they obey all rules in the vicinity of crossings and parents and schools ensure children are educated on crossing the road safely.

Please see the VicRoads Safe to School program for additional information.

Subscribe to page updates

Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.

Help us to improve

Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.

Last updated: 20 November 2017