Melbourne Water is upgrading the Huntingdale Road Wetland and Retarding Basin, on Huntingdale Road (Mount Waverley).
These works will improve stormwater treatment and ensure the basin continues to operate safely.
The project started in February 2018 and will take up to five months to complete, weather permitting.
Works to upgrade the wetland involve:
- Improving accessibility for ongoing maintenance activities
- Repairing and reinforcing the wetland levee bank to protect against flooding events
- Modifying the wetland inlet and outlet systems to reset water levels
- Removing silt from specific areas of the wetland.
Works will take place Monday to Friday between 7am to 6pm and Saturdays 7am to 1pm (as required).
What to expect during construction:
- A site office and amenities to be set up within the project area
- Some minor vegetation removal from the wetland
- Temporary closures of the internal interconnecting shared user path and western shared user path
- Increased vehicle movements and nose form construction machinery in and around the wetland
- Some odour associated with the upgrade works.
July update - Mount Waverley
Upgrade works will move to the western end of the wetlands, adjacent to Huntingdale Road in early July. Works will take approximately 10 days, weather permitting.
Find out more about what the July works include here: July Huntingdale Road Wetlands Upgrade update (pdf, 344KB)
To find out more about this Melbourne Water project: