Monash Council will review proposed changes to the municipality’s residential zones and consult more with its community.
At its meeting on Tuesday night, Council deferred further consideration of the proposed changes, so an independent review and more community consultation can occur.
The proposed changes are aimed at directing where and how development occurs in Monash, with the overall aim of protecting Monash’s ‘garden city’ character.
They include measures such as increasing rear and side setbacks for new buildings and requiring canopy trees on sites undergoing redevelopment.
Mayor Paul Klisaris said initial community feedback on the proposed changes had been mixed, with some people welcoming the protections and others saying the changes were too restrictive on property owners.
“These are major changes that we are proposing so it is important that we don’t rush our decision-making,” Cr Klisaris said.
“In proposing these changes, we were responding to feedback from many residents who are distressed by some of the development occurring in residential streets of Monash, including the loss of trees.
"However, now we have also heard from residents who are concerned that the proposed changes place too many limits on their ability to develop their property."
“We need to take some time to reassess, to re-evaluate what we are proposing, and to get a deeper understanding of community views.”
Cr Klisaris said that as part of the further community consultation, all residents and ratepayers in Monash would be contacted again, so Council could seek their views. He said Council was not expected to make decisions on the proposed changes until the first half of next year.
Media Contact: Jo Robertson 0418 391 979 or email JoanneR@monash.vic.gov.au