Occupy Roadway

If you need to occupy part of any kind of a road, laneway, footpath, nature strip, car park, or road reserve, even for a short time, an Occupy Roadway Permit may be required.

‘Occupying’ the roadway may include any of the following activities:

  • Road closure
  • Delivery of construction materials and scaffolding
  • Travel towers and mobile lifts
  • Mobile crane operation
  • Concrete pumps operation
  • Placement of shipping containers.
  • Long term occupation of the footpath
  • Long term occupation of the nature strip
  • Placement of any other structures (if permitted)

This list is by no means a complete list of all activities that may require a permit.

You may also need an application for report and consent (Regulation 116 of the Building Regulations 2018) if the relevant building surveyor determines that the occupation of council land is necessary to ensure public safety.

Fees and Security Deposits

When applying for this permit online you will need to pay an Application Fee. Council will process your application to determine if you are able to occupy the area, for how long and under what conditions.

If successful, and given that all required documents have been submitted, a tax invoice will be issued via email. Council may request further documentation before being able to proceed with invoicing. The Permit Costs, Land Leasing Charge and Refundable Security Deposit vary, depending on the works to be undertaken.
More information: Engineering Permit Fees (pdf, 188KB)

Application fee:

  • $100.00 (Non-Refundable). Please note that the Application Fee will be paid at time of applying through the online application portal.

Occupy Roadway fees:

  • Local & Arterial Roads: from $142.00 (Non-Refundable)
  • Land Leasing Charge: $10/m2 per month, minimum $200 (Non-Refundable)
  • Gantry Land Leasing Charge: $1.50/m2 per month (Non-Refundable)
  • A Refundable Security Deposit will normally be required

How to apply for an Occupy Roadway Permit

Prepare supporting documentation and apply online:

Occupy Roadway Permit Application

Supporting documentation

In submitting your application we require as a minimum the following information:

  • Site Plan of the proposed occupied area (including the proposed structure if the area is to be hoarded/built on) with all measurements and features of the street, including driveways, trees and street furniture.
  • Site photos taken prior to works commencing (minimum 5 photos). Please provide photos of the exact location of the area to be occupied - showing conditions of Council's assets. See examples of correct photos.

If you have the following documents, it is recommended you supply them at this time (you will require these when obtaining the Occupy Roadway Permit, if your application is successful):

  • Traffic Management Plan as per the Roads Management Act 2004 and the Road Safety (Traffic Management) Regulations 2019 is required. Council requests you obtain your plans through an experienced provider to ensure high quality plans are produced, as poor quality plans in the past have not met these basic requirements. The Traffic Management Plan should cover temporary changes to traffic conditions, road and footpath closure and traffic detours. Council will assess the impacts on movement and safety for pedestrians, cyclists and vehicles (check VicRoads website: ‘Register of prequalified contractors & consultants’).
  • Copy of the Works Manager's Public Liability Insurance (Certificate of Currency).

Council may also require:

  • A copy of a Neighbour Notification Letter advising affected residents of the occupation works, and
  • Supporting documentation including Department of Transport approval if occupying an Arterial Road

Please note that any occupation on arterial roads may also require a Department of Transport permit and Memorandum of Authorisation from them.

The Occupy Roadway Permit Application advice may take up to 10 working days depending on complexity of the works involved.

How to pay for a Permit

If the application is successful, a tax invoice will be issued for payment via email. Please note, that the Application Fee will be paid at the time of applying through the online application portal.

The tax invoice will provide advice on how to pay at the time.

When will I receive the Occupy Roadway Permit?

After the application has been assessed and should no further information be required, you will be issued with a tax invoice (permit and security bond fee). Once you pay the tax invoice, the permit will be issued by email.

Occupy Roadway Conditions

The Occupy Roadway Permit will contain conditions that must be read and followed carefully. Non-compliance may result in an infringement being issued.

Occupy Roadway Inspections

Council may conduct inspections to determine permit fees, the security deposit, refunds and damages.

Reinstatement of Council Assets

The Permit holder is responsible for any damage caused by your works and the damage must be reinstated to Council satisfaction. There is a choice of repairing Council’s assets or asking Council to complete repair works at your expense.

If the Permit holder requests that Council will carry out this reinstatement on their behalf, the Permit holder must notify the Council. The cost of repair will be deducted from the Security Deposit, with any remaining Security Deposit refunded. If the works cost more than the Security Deposit, an invoice for these works will be issued.

If no advice is received about the reinstatement from the Permit holder, Council may undertake the reinstatement works at the expense of the Permit holder.

How do I get my Refundable Security Deposit refunded?

Upon your advice, Council will inspect the site after the occupation has ceased, to determine if any reinstatement works are required prior to releasing the refundable security deposit.

If there is no damage and the inspection is signed off as satisfactory, your refundable security deposit will be returned. If any damage is noted, a letter will be sent to you letting you know and so you can arrange for any reinstatement works.

The refundable security deposit is paid as an EFT into your nominated bank account.

Further enquiries

Phone: 03 9518 3555

Email: mail@monash.vic.gov.au


Please scroll through the photo gallery to see examples of the correct photos.

Photo Gallery

Subscribe to page updates

Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.

Help us to improve

Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.

Last updated: 13 January 2021