Vehicle Crossing

A ‘vehicle crossing’ is the strip of your driveway that crosses the footpath and nature strip allowing vehicles to enter and exit your property. If re-constructing the driveway, or doing anything that involves altering this area, a Vehicle Crossing Permit may be required.

In some cases, such as during building works where your builder needs to access the property from the road where no vehicle crossing is located, you may need to obtain what is called a Temporary Vehicle Crossing Permit. This is treated the same as a Vehicle Crossing Permit but will have conditions placed on it that affect the standard of construction and the reinstatement of the area once the permit expires.

Generally, a Vehicle Crossing Permit application will not be approved before an official site inspection is conducted. Regardless of whether your permit application is approved or not approved, you will be notified in writing, after the inspection.

If you are seeking to have approval prior to the commencement of building your home (for example, to sign a contract) you will need to proceed with making an application to ensure that a vehicle crossing can be built there. Council will advise you in writing if your application has been approved or not. Approvals are for 12 months, in which time you must obtain the Vehicle Crossing Permit.

Fees and Security Deposits

When applying for this permit you will need to pay an Application Fee. Council will process your application to determine if you are able to construct the vehicle crossing how and where you have proposed.

If successful, and given that all required documents have been submitted, a tax invoice will be issued via email. Council may request further documentation before being able to proceed with invoicing. The Permit costs and the Refundable Security Deposit vary, depending on the works to be undertaken. More information: Engineering Permit Fees (pdf, 188KB)

Application fee:

  • $100.00 (Non-Refundable) Please note that the Application Fee will be paid at time of applying through the online application portal.

Vehicle Crossing Permit fees:

  • Local Roads: from $150.00 to $350.00 (Non-Refundable)
  • Arterial Roads: from $250.00 to $650.00 (Non-Refundable)
  • A Refundable Security Deposit will normally be required

How to apply for a Vehicle Crossing Permit

Prepare supporting documentation and apply online:

Vehicle Crossing Permit Application

Supporting documentation

In submitting your application, we require as a minimum the following information:

  • Site Plan showing the location of the proposed Vehicle Crossing, with all measurements and features including; property, existing and proposed driveways, trees, street furniture.
  • Site photos prior to works commencing (minimum 5 photos). Please provide photos of the exact location of where the works will be undertaken - showing conditions of Council asset.

If you have the following documents, it is recommended you supply them at this time (you will require these when obtaining the Vehicle Crossing Permit if your application is successful):

  • Traffic Management Plan as per the Roads Management Act 2004 and the Road Safety (Traffic Management) Regulations 2019 is required. Council requests you obtain your plans through an experienced provider to ensure high quality plans are produced as poor quality plans in the past have not met these basic requirements. The Traffic Management Plan should cover temporary changes to traffic conditions, road and footpath closure and traffic detours. Council will assess the impacts on movement and safety for pedestrians, cyclists and vehicles (check VicRoads website: Register of prequalified contractors & consultants).
  • Copy of the Works Manager's Public Liability Insurance (Certificate of Currency).

Council may also require:

  • A copy of a Neighbour Notification Letter advising affected residents of the works.
  • Supporting documentation from any Service Authority if the works affect or are near their assets and if located on an Arterial Road, Department of Transport approval.

Please note that the construction of vehicle crossings on arterial roads may require a Department of Transport permit and Memorandum of Authorisation from them.

The Vehicle Crossing Permit Application advice may take up to 10 working days, depending on the complexity of the works involved.

How to pay for a Permit

If the application is successful, a tax invoice will be issued for payment via email. Please note that the Application Fee will be paid at the time of applying through the online application portal.

The tax invoice will provide advice on how to pay at the time.

When will I receive the Vehicle Crossing Permit?

After the application has been assessed and should no further information be required, you will be issued with a tax invoice (permit and security bond fee). Once you pay the tax invoice, the permit will be issued by email.

Vehicle Crossing Conditions

When the Vehicle Crossing Permit is issued, it will contain conditions that must be read and followed carefully. Non-compliance may result in an infringement being issued.

Please note the Vehicle Crossing Permit will expire 6 months from the date of issue.

Vehicle Crossing Inspections

You can choose to hire an independent contractor or request Council to arrange the construction of the vehicle crossing.

If you choose an independent contractor, you’ll have to arrange for Council to conduct an inspection of the vehicle crossing after the area is excavated, but before any concrete is poured.

As with other official inspections, remember that:

  • You won’t be able to book the inspection until you have obtained your permit.
  • A representative of the owner or contractor must be on site at the arranged inspection time.
  • You or your representative will have to set aside the morning of a regular week day for the inspection. Inspections are not conducted on afternoons, weekends or public holidays.
  • You will have to book Council inspection by phoning 9518 3555 at the latest by 2pm on the day before inspection day.
  • Council will conduct a re-inspection on the vehicle crossing, scheduled for 1 month after the pre-pour inspection.

Reinstatement requirements of Council Assets

The Permit holder is responsible for any damage caused by the works and the damage must be reinstated to Council satisfaction. There is a choice of repairing Council’s assets or asking Council to complete repair works at your expense.

If the Council is to carry out the reinstatement of the Council’s assets, the Permit holder must notify the Council. The cost of the repair will be deducted from the Security Deposit, with any remaining Security Deposit refunded. If the works cost more than the Security Deposit, an invoice for these works will be issued.

If no advice is received about the reinstatement from the Permit holder, Council may undertake the reinstatement works at the expense of the Permit holder.

Vehicle Crossing Specifications

All crossings constructed in the City of Monash have to meet standards of the Vehicle Crossing Specification which can be found in: Specifications for construction of Vehicle Crossings (pdf, 809KB)

There may only be 1 Vehicle Crossing per property.

To get a better chance of having your permit approved, make sure your application takes into account the following specifications:

Distance from

  • The crossing is a minimum of 9 metres from a street corner.
  • If the vehicle crossing is located within 2.4 metres of an adjoining vehicle crossing, the area between must be constructed to form a double vehicle crossing
  • The crossing is to be no less than 1 metre from any existing streetfurniture’, such as a pit, pole, hydrant, bus shelter, parking bay or similar feature.
  • All excavation works for the vehicle crossing should be planned to be at least 4.0 metres from the base of a street tree. You may be able to construct closer this as each individual street tree may allow for this. Some street trees may require a greater distance, so all plans should show how far you plan to construct from them.

Standard Dimensions

The minimum (and also the standard) width of the vehicle crossing is 3 metres.

Redundant crossings must be removed. You will have to pay the costs of having the regular kerb and channel replaced.

Other Permits

If the vehicle crossing is part of an issued Building Permit, the crossing has not been automatically approved. You will still have to make a separate Vehicle Crossing Permit Application. The same requirement applies if the vehicle crossing is part of an issued Town Planning Permit.

Specific Permission

In some circumstances, what you want to do may infringe on other public assets.

You may need specific approval in writing (from the asset owner), if:

  • Crossing is less than 1 metre away from a pole, hydrant, bus shelter, parking bay or any other existing street ‘furniture’.
  • Excavation works for the crossing’s construction are less than 4.0 metre away from the base of an existing street tree.
  • Vehicle crossing is located within 2.4 metres of an adjoining vehicle crossing and you do not wish for the vehicle crossings to be constructed as a double vehicle crossing.

You must have specific approval in writing before beginning construction of a double vehicle crossing as this affects a neighbours vehicle crossing and access into their property.

You also require approval from the Planning Department of Monash Council for:

  • All vehicle crossings on arterial roads (this does not include Service Lanes).
  • All industrial/commercial crossings. These also have to comply with the appropriate specifications provided by Council.

How do I get my Refundable Security Deposit refunded?

Council will re-inspect the vehicle crossing 1 month after the pre-pour inspection. You do not need to book this inspection as only Council will attend to check no damage has occurred to the vehicle crossing or Council assets during works.

The inspection is undertaken at this time because it takes 1 month for the concrete to have reached almost 100% of its full strength and to allow time for any defects to be shown.

If there is no damage and the inspection is signed off as satisfactory, your refundable security deposit will be returned. If any damage is noted, a letter will be sent to you letting you know and so you can arrange for any reinstatement works.

The refundable security deposit is paid as an EFT into your nominated bank account.

Further enquiries

Phone: 03 9518 3555



Specifications for construction of Vehicle Crossings (pdf, 809KB)

Subscribe to page updates

Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.

Help us to improve

Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.

Last updated: 01 January 2021