Vehicle Crossing (Driveway)

A ‘vehicle crossing’ is the strip of your driveway that crosses the footpath and nature strip allowing vehicles to enter and exit your property. If you are re-doing your driveway, or doing anything that involves altering this area, you may need a vehicle crossing permit.  Prior to the construction or alteration of any vehicle crossing in the City of Monash, a vehicle crossing permit is required.

Generally, you will not receive approval for your duly completed formal application before an official site inspection is conducted.

Regardless of whether your permit is approved, or disapproved, you will be notified in writing, after the inspection.


Non-UMW:  Construct a Vehicle Crossing Permit - Application (pdf, 407KB)

Vehicle Crossing permits generally require not only the completed application form but in addition;

  1. A permit fee plus refundable security deposit - refer to Engineering Permit Fees (pdf, 546KB)
  2. A copy of the Works Manager's WorkCover Insurance, (Certificate of Currency), and
  3. A Traffic Management Plan incorporating a description of protective precautions for both pedestrians and motor vehicles, and
  4. A security deposit, (to be individually determined at the time you apply).


All crossings constructed in the City of Monash Vehicle have to fit the Vehicle Crossing Specification which can be found in the following document:  Specification: Construction of a Vehicle Crossing (pdf, 809KB)

To get a better chance of having your permit approved, make sure your application takes into account the following specifications:

Distance from:

  • The crossing is a minimum of 9 metres from a street corner.
  • If the vehicle crossing is located within 1.50 metres of an adjoining vehicle crossing, the area between must be constructed to form a double vehicle crossing. (Link to Diagram)
  • The crossing is to be no less than 1 metre from any existing street ‘furniture’, such as a pit, pole, hydrant, bus shelter or parking bay etc.
  • All excavation works for the vehicle crossing are to be 1 metre from the ‘drip line’ (Link to Diagram) of any existing street tree. A ‘drip line’ is the outer limit of the tree's canopy.

Standard Dimensions:

  • The minimum, - and also the standard, - width of the vehicle crossing is 3 metres.

Redundant crossings are to be removed. You will have to pay the costs of having the regular kerb and channel replaced.

Other Permits:

If the vehicle crossing is part of an issued Building Permit, the crossing has not been automatically approved. You will still have to make a separate Vehicle Crossing Permit Application.  The same requirement applies if the vehicle crossing is part of an issued Planning Permit.

However if you can present a stamped-as–approved Planning Permit Plan and a Traffic Management plan, the permit can be issued over the counter.


You can choose to hire an independent contractor or a Council sub-contractor to construct a vehicle crossing.

If you choose an independent contractor, you’ll have to arrange for an inspection of the vehicle crossing after the area is excavated, but before any concrete is poured.

As with other official inspections, remember that:

  • A representative of the owner or contractor must be on site at the arranged inspection time
  • You or your representative will have to set aside the morning of a regular week day for the inspection. Inspections are not conducted on afternoons, weekends or public holidays
  • You will have to book a Council sub-contractor inspection by phoning 9518 3690 at latest by 3pm on the day before inspection day

Specific Permission

In some circumstances, what you want to do may infringe on other public assets.

Council will want to check further into these situations, before granting specific permission, so expect:

  1. To provide further information or more detailed information on your reasoning.
  2. For the approval process to take longer
  3. A greater chance of your application won’t be permitted at all.

You may need specific approval in writing if:

  • The crossing is less than one metre away from a pole, hydrant, bus shelter, parking bay or any other existing street ‘furniture’.
  • The excavation works for the crossing’s construction are less than one metre away from the ‘drip line’ or outermost line of an existing tree’s canopy.
  • You want to construct a second vehicle crossing. Generally these are not permitted.
  • The vehicle crossing is located within 1.50 metres of an adjoining vehicle crossing, as the area between must be constructed to form a double vehicle crossing.

You must have specific approval in writing before beginning construction of a double vehicle crossing.

You also require approval from the Planning Department of Monash Council for:

  • All vehicle crossings on arterial roads
  • All industrial/commercial crossings. These also have to comply with the appropriate specifications provided by Council.

    As of February 2015, industrial/commercial crossings must, at minimum, be either:

    • At least 150mm thick and made of concrete reinforced with SL82 mesh as per Australian Standard 467:2001, or
    • At least 200mm thick and made of unreinforced concrete.

    Please note that this is just a minimum, and Council does not recommend that most crossings be constructed to minimum thicknesses. Check with an engineer to determine what you actually need.  For information on where to contact an Engineer, please see the following page:  Consumer - Search.

    Do bear in mind that for the duration of the project, you are responsible for any damage to the area done during the building process.  Council will complete the repairs, if for some reason you are unable, but the repair work will still be at your expense. As with other Council repairs and restorations, the costs will be taken directly from your security deposit.

    Subscribe to page updates

    Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.

    Help us to improve

    Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.

    Last updated: 22 November 2019