How to Apply for a Building Permit

Each of the regulations governing your project can require different information and the actual requirements for the permit will vary depending on the complexity of the project.

The following information will guide you through the application process, but for further information please contact Council. The advice can be obtained either in person at the Civic Centre during business hours or by calling 9518 3555

The simpler the project is, the fewer forms you will need.  Building a unit or sub-dividing, for example, is highly regulated and you will need a lot of pieces of paperwork to show your project will comply with all those regulations.  Please note that additional or specific forms may be required for your situation, see Building Application Forms for details.

At a minimum, to apply for your Building Permit, in addition to the completed application form you will need proof of the following information:

  1. Fees
  2. Planning Permit
  3. Proof of Ownership
  4. Registered Building Practitioners' Details
  5. Drains and Storm Water Information
  6. Copies of Design Drawings
    1. Site Plan
    2. Floor Plans
    3. Elevations
    4. Car Parking
    5. Detailed Specifications
    6. Cross-Sectional Elevations
    7. Visual Indication of Existing Structure Alterations
  7. Total Cost of the Project
  8. Impact on Neighbours or Public Property/Assets
  9. Owner-Builder
  10. Roof Truss and Frame Calculations
  11. Energy Efficiency Reports
  12. Foundation Work

1.  Fees

The fee which is based on the location, nature and length of your building project and will be determined at the time of application.

This involves:

2.  Planning Permits

If the property is less than 500m2, a planning permit may be required. Please contact Council's Planning Department on 9518 3555 for verification. 

If the property is under an overlay such as the Heritage or Vegetation Overlay, but your project doesn’t require planning permission, you should provide information as to why.

For example, if you are under the Vegetation Overlay and you are renovating (without extending) your bathroom, no planning permission (for altering vegetation) should be required.

3.  Proof of Ownership of the property

You will need a current rates notice and a copy of the Certificate of Title in most cases to ascertain current ownership.

Please call Council on 9518 3555 for more information.

4.  Your Registered Building Practitioner’s Details

Even if you are an owner-builder, you may still need to engage the services of a building practitioner or a licenced trade such as a plumber and or an electrician for any plumbing or electrical work. 

5. Drains and storm water information for the property

This includes:

  1. The position and size of all downpipes
  2. The position and size of all stormwater drainage lines
  3. The Legal point of Discharge

6.  Copy of design drawings

One (1) copy of design drawings is required and will have to include:

6a.  Site Plan

The site plan, drawn to no less than a 1:500 scale, which comprises of the following details:

  1. Siting of the proposed work.  This also has to illustrate the dimensions and locations of the other structures on the property and the next door neighbours on all sides. For example your neighbours' garages, garden sheds and habitable room windows.
  2. Distance to the nearest cross street.  For example, if you are two houses down from the street corner, the distance in metres from your property to that street corner.
  3. Over-looking and over-shadowing diagrams.  If your proposed building will overlook or overshadow any of the neighbouring properties you should show this on the site plan.
  4. The location, dimensions, and area of the private open space that is currently available and what will be available after your proposed project is completed.

6b.  Floor Plan

When the project involves a residential building it should also include the floor plan.

Drawn to a 1:100 scale, the floor plan needs to indicate:

  1. The dimensions, - both overall and internal, - for each individual floor. This needs to give exact measurements of the each individual room and the positioning, (and size) of every window and door
  2. The thickness and composition of the walls - both internal and external.
  3. The ‘proposed use’ of each room by name, such as the bathroom and the kitchen. All the fittings need to be identified; the sinks, baths, shower, kitchen etc.

6c.  Elevations

Elevations, drawn to a minimum scale of 1:100, including:

  • North, South, East & West

6d.  Car Parking

Car parking should show both:

  1. Access for vehicles to the building project. If your project will involve a lot of extra traffic to a residential area you may also need a Traffic Management Plan
  2. Access for vehicles when the project is completed. All Class 1 buildings should have car parking for two cars.

6e.  Detailed Specifications

Detailed specifications must describe:

  1. Materials
  2. Specific components to be used including details of framing and bracing
  3. The stress grade of all timber used or details of how it complies with the relevant Codes and Standards

6f:  Cross-sectional Elevations

Cross-sectional elevations should show:

  1. Footing details including component sizes and spacing. The footing or support structure should be specifically explained.
  2. Structural details of the floor, wall and roof framing. These details will have to cover the individual components, or parts, of floor, wall or roof; specifically the size, span and spacing of each.

6g:  Visual Indication of Existing Structure Alterations

Where the project involves adding to or altering an existing structure; it should show:

  • Colouring or cross-hatching to give a clear visual indication of the difference between existing and new

Conditional Requirements

    7.  Total Cost of the Project

    The cost of the project will determine the permit fee. If you are doing the work as an owner-builder, it is the cost of the materials plus the cost of labour if you got someone else in to carry out the work. This information would need to form part of your building permit application. 

    8.  Impact on Neighbours' or Public Property

    If the project may impact on your neighbours' or public property, you will need to provide some kind of insurance or protection.

    • Asset Protection Permit: Please note that you will, (almost certainly), need this permit.  You will be able to obtain a Building Permit before receiving an Asset Protection Permit application form.
    • Under the regulations if protection work is required by your Relevant Building Surveyor who will issue the building permit.  Then you are required to provide a contract of insurance against damages and any liabilities.

    9.  Owner-Builder

    If you are an owner-builder, and the total cost of the project is more than $16,000, you will require a:

    10.  Roof Truss Frame

    If the project involves the roof truss frame, you must provide:

    • A copy of the truss frame calculations. The building permit can be issued without the truss frame calculations, but they will need to be submitted and approved prior to the frame inspection.


    11.  Energy Efficiency Reports

    An energy efficiency report will be required in most cases for a new dwelling, extension, or for additional and major alterations.  It is recommended you discuss this with your designer/draftsperson who can help. 

    12.  Foundation Work

    If the project involves digging up the ground, you must provide:

    1. Description of the termite protection being undertaken or preserved
    2. A copy of the soil investigation report. You’ll need a soil investigation report for most structural alterations to an existing dwelling or for building a new building. Smaller projects like installing a window, verandah or deck, or landscaping the garden, may not need a report.

    Subscribe to page updates

    Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.

    Help us to improve

    Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.

    Last updated: 16 June 2021