Project update 2019
The next stage of The Glen redevelopment opened to the public in early August 2019. This stage included David Jones relocating to a new store, additional specialty shops, a new outdoor dining precinct near the intersection of Kingsway and O’Sullivan Road including improved pedestrian access to the centre.
Stage 1 (Free Food Market Hall), Stage 2 (Food Gallery) and Stage 3 (Fashion and Lifestyle Specialty Shops) have already been completed and are open to the public.
Construction of the “Sky Garden” residential apartment towers by Golden Age Group has commenced. Completion of these works is currently expected in late 2020.
Current works will include the occasional closure of O’Sullivan Road to allow for construction vehicle access. Further works to upgrade the streetscape of O’Sullivan Road remain ongoing.
Amended permit 2018
In January 2018, Council approved amendments to the residential towers which form part of the Planning Permit for The Glen Towers at 235 Springvale Rd, Glen Waverley.
Key aspects of the proposed amendments related to modification of the overall massing, layout and mix of residential apartments of Building A, (Signature Building), B (Urban Building) and Building C (Kingsway Axial Building).
More information on the approved amendment to planning permit for The Glen Towers.
Amended permit 2016
In November 2016, Council approved an amended permit for the redevelopment. The main changes made to the redevelopment were:
- Increasing the overall number of apartments from 427 apartments to 539 apartments
- Increasing the height of the smallest tower from 9 storeys to 12 storeys
- Reducing a requirement that 20% of dwellings be three bedroom to make it that 10% of dwellings be three bedroom.
For more information on the amended permit approved by Council, please see: The Glen redevelopment - request to amend planning permit
Approved development 2015
In July 2015, Council approved plans for a $500 million redevelopment of The Glen shopping centre in Glen Waverley.
Key features of the redevelopment include:
- an expansion of the retail centre across the existing car park in Springvale Road, Glen Waverley
- three apartment towers above the retail podium, with the highest being 20 storeys
- a new public square at the entrance to the shopping centre, with cafes and restaurants creating a cosmopolitan connection between Kingsway and The Glen.
In response to community concerns, Council reduced the height of the project's tallest building from 24 storeys to 20 storeys.
More information on Council's decision is available in this media release.
Please also see Approved Redevelopment of The Glen Shopping Centre.