Brandon Park Major Activity Centre
In February 2013, Council adopted a Draft Structure Plan for the Brandon Park Activity Centre to guide the future development of the area.
Council then sought feedback from the community about Amendment C86 to the Monash Planning Scheme, which would incorporate the Structure Plan into the Scheme. Council received 47 submissions from local community members. At its June 2013 meeting, Council resolved to refer all of the submissions to an Independent Review Panel for consideration.
In September 2013, Council received the Panel Report. The Panel recommended that the Amendment be adopted. However, the Panel also recommended a number of changes be made to what had been proposed for the former school site.
Council at its meeting on 29 October 2013 decided to adopt the Amendment in accordance with some of the Panel's recommendations and not others.
Most notably Council determined that:
- 15% of the former Brandon Park Secondary College site be kept as public open space. The planning panel recommended that Council reduce the public open space component to 5% of the five hectare site.
- There be a requirement that the future developer of the school site provide 30 public car spaces on the site to meet the parking needs of the adjoining preschool and maternal and child health centre.
Council has submitted the Amendment to the Minister for Planning for final approval.
If you have any questions, please call Council's Strategic Planning team on 9518 3250.
Ministerial Authorisation Number: AO2495
- Commencement of Public Exhibition: 18 April 2013
- Completion of Public Exhibition: 24 May 2013
- Panel Directions Hearing: 22 July 2013
- Panel Merits Hearing: 13 & 15 August 2013
- Panel Report: 13 September 2013
- Adoption of Amendment: 29 October 2013
The Amendment affects:
- Land within the Brandon Park Major Activity Centre
The Amendment proposes to implement the recommendations of the Brandon Park Major Activity Centre Structure Plan (2013) by:
- Amending Clauses 21.04 and 21.06 of the Monash Planning Scheme to include reference to the Brandon Park Major Activity Centre Structure Plan, October 2013.
- Introducing Clause 21.16, a Strategy Statement for the Brandon Park Major Activity Centre into the Monash Planning Scheme.
- Land at 539-597 Springvale Road and 1A Village Court, Mulgrave (west side of Springvale Road south of Ferntree Gully Road), from IN1Z - Industrial 1 to C2Z- Commercial 2 Zone.
- Land at 6-30 Brandon Park Drive, Wheelers Hill (former Brandon Park Secondary College site) from PUZ2 - Public Use 2 (Education) to GRZ- General Residential Zone.
- Land at 482 Ferntree Gully Road, Mulgrave (VicRoads site between Ferntree Gully Road and the Monash freeway), from RDZ1 - Road Zone 1 to MUZ- Mixed Use Zone.
- Inserting a new Schedule 2 in the MUZ- Mixed Use Zone.
- Inserting a new Schedule 2 in the GRZ- General Residential Zone.
- Introducing the Design and Development Overlay (Schedule 8) which details the design and development provisions identified in the Brandon Park Major Activity Centre Structure Plan, October 2013.
- Introducing the EAO- Environmental Audit Overlay over land at 482 Ferntree Gully Road, Mulgrave.
- Implementing other minor consequential changes to the Monash Planning Scheme
Amendment C86 - Notice of Preparation for Amendment (pdf, 183KB)
Amendment C86 - Panel Report - Brandon Park Major Activity Centre (pdf, 885KB)
Amendment C86 - Explanatory Report (pdf, 290KB)
Amendment C86 - Instruction Sheet (pdf, 18KB)
Amendment C86 - List of Changes (pdf, 30KB)
Amendment C86 - Contents Page (pdf, 198KB)
Amendment C86 - Clause 21.04 (pdf, 877KB)
Amendment C86 - Clause 21.06 (pdf, 603KB)
Amendment C86 - Clause 21.16 (pdf, 361KB)
Amendment C86 - Mixed Use Zone - Schedule 2 (pdf, 63KB)
Amendment C86 - General Residential Zone - Schedule 2 (pdf, 73KB)
Amendment C86 - Design and Development Overlay - Schedule 8 (pdf, 578KB)
Amendment C86 - Rezoning Map (pdf, 758KB)
Amendment C86 - Design and Development Overlay - Map 8 (pdf, 781KB)
Amendment C86 - Environmental Overlay - Map 15 (pdf, 713KB)
Amendment C86 - Brandon Park Major Activity Centre - Background Report (pdf, 4MB)
Amendment C86 - Brandon Park Major Activity Centre - Draft Structure Plan (pdf, 5MB)