The Amendment applies across the whole of Monash.
This Amendment proposes to update the public open space contribution rates for all subdivisions of 3 lots or more.
- Amends the Schedule to Clause 53.01 to require that all subdivisions of 3 lots or more provide a public open space contribution at a rate of 10%;
- Introduces a new Local Planning Policy – Clause 22.15: Public Open Space Contributions Policy that sets out the guidance for the process on when, where and how a public open space contribution will be required, including whether in the form of cash in lieu, land or a combination of both; and
- Replaces Clause 21.10 in the Municipal Strategic Statement with a new Clause 21.10.
If you have any questions or would like to discuss this matter, please call Andre Schmid, Senior Strategic Planner, on 9518 3090 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Amendment C131 was exhibited between 17 June and 2 August 2019. In response to the consultation on the Amendment, 44 submissions were received.
Council reviewed and considered the submissions at its meeting held on 24 September 2019.
Report to Council Meeting – 24 September 2019 (pdf, 236KB)
Attachment – Summary of issues raised in the submissions (pdf, 231KB)
As the rezoning has merit and there are submissions which are unable to be resolved, Council has requested the Minister for Planning to appoint an independent Panel to review the Amendment and consider all submissions received.
An independent planning Panel will consider the Amendment and each submission that Council receives. The following dates have been proposed for the Panel hearing:
- Panel Directions Hearing (proposed): the week of 20 January 2020
- Panel Merits Hearing (proposed): the week of 17 February or 24 February 2020
Please note that these Panel dates have not been confirmed by Planning Panels Victoria and are subject to change.
Council sought community views on proposed Amendment C148 to the Monash Planning Scheme during June, July and August 2019.
- Commencement of Public Exhibition: Monday 17 June 2019
- Completion of Public Exhibition: Friday 2 August 2019
Notice of Amendment (pdf, 447KB)
Explanatory Report (pdf, 298KB)
Instruction Sheet (pdf, 10KB)
Clause 53.01 – Public Open Space Contribution and Subdivision (pdf, 80KB)
Clause 22.15 – Public Open Space Contributions Policy (pdf, 335KB)
Clause 21.10 – Open Space (pdf, 466KB)
Open Space Contribution Rate Planning – Prepared by SGS Economics and Planning (pdf, 3MB)
You may inspect the amendment, any documents that support the amendment and the explanatory report about the amendment, free of charge, at the following locations:
- during office hours, at the office of the planning authority, Monash City Council at 293 Springvale Road, Glen Waverley and at the Oakleigh Service Centre, 3 Atherton Road, Oakleigh
- at the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning website www.delwp.vic.gov.au/public-inspection
At the Council Meeting on 30 October the Council adopted the Monash Open Space Strategy 2018. At the meeting Council recognised a key action of the Monash Open Space Strategy and resolved to authorise the Director City Development to request the Minister for Planning for authorisation to prepare and exhibit an amendment to the Monash Planning Scheme to update the public open space contribution rates for all subdivisions.
Amendment C148 proposes to increase the public open space requirement for subdivisions of 3 lots or more to 10% cash, 10% land, or a mix of both. Currently Council requires a public open space contribution of between 2% and 5% depending on the number of lots created. A contribution rate of 10% has been determined as necessary to deliver a reasonable standard of open space provision across the whole of Monash for a growing population. This contribution rate reflects the need to ensure that all residents in the future have contributed to providing an appropriate level of public open space services and recognises a need of 30 square metres per person.
For more information, read Monash Open Space Strategy