In July 2015, Council approved plans for a $500 million redevelopment of The Glen shopping centre in Glen Waverley.
Key features of the redevelopment include:
- an expansion of the retail centre across the existing car park in Springvale Road, Glen Waverley
- three apartment towers above the retail podium, with the highest being 20 storeys
- a new public square at the entrance to the shopping centre, with cafes and restaurants creating a cosmopolitan connection between Kingsway and The Glen.
In response to community concerns, Council reduced the height of the project's tallest building from 24 storeys to 20 storeys.
More information on Council's decision is available in this media release.
Please also see Approved Redevelopment of The Glen Shopping Centre.
Amended permit 2017
In January 2018, Council approved amendments to the residential towers which form part of the Planning Permit for The Glen Towers at 235 Springvale Rd, Glen Waverley.
Key aspects of the proposed amendments relate to modification of the overall massing, layout and mix of residential apartments of Building A, (Signature Building), B (Urban Building) and Building C (Kingsway Axial Building).
Each building will increase in overall height by 1 metre and will adopt a new facade treatment.
More information on the approved amendment to planning permit for The Glen Towers.
Amended permit 2016
In November 2016, Council approved an amended permit for the redevelopment. The main changes made to the redevelopment were:
- Increasing the overall number of apartments from 427 apartments to 539 apartments
- Increasing the height of the smallest tower from 9 storeys to 12 storeys
- Reducing a requirement that 20% of dwellings be three bedroom to make it that 10% of dwellings be three bedroom.
For more information on the amended permit approved by Council, please see the following report that was adopted by Council at its 29 November 2016 meeting:
The Glen Shopping Centre - Council report 29 November 2016 meeting (pdf, 753KB)
Attachment to Council report 29 November 2016 meeting (pdf, 140MB)
Here are documents that were submitted by the applicant in mid-2016 as part of their request to amend the permit:
Amendment to Planning Permit - Town Planning Report (pdf, 7MB)
Summary of Changes (pdf, 572KB)
Redevelopment Plans - part 1 (pdf, 15MB)
Redevelopment Plans - part 2 (pdf, 12MB)
Redevelopment Plans - part 3 (pdf, 26MB)
Redevelopment Plans - part 4 (pdf, 8MB)
Glen Waverley Market Research Report (pdf, 2MB)
Traffic Engineering Assessment (pdf, 1MB)
Landscape Plan (pdf, 14MB)
Wind Analysis (pdf, 78KB)