Buying an Existing Food Business

When buying an existing food business, Monash Council advise you to organise an inspection of the premises under the Food Act 1984 prior to negotiating the purchase.  Once the premise is transferred into your name, any outstanding food safety requirements will become your responsibility.

How can I submit these forms to Council and is there a cost involved?

Making alterations to your business?

Steps for Buying an Existing Food Business

All businesses, regardless of classification, must:

  1. Lodge both a Consent to Disclose Information Form (pdf, 378KB) and a Request for Inspection Form (pdf, 469KB) with Council requesting inspection together with the relevant fee. A report will be provided within 10 working days. 
  2. Obtain a Food Premises Transfer of Registration Application (pdf, 801KB) form
  3. Once settlement is complete, submit the Transfer of Registration form to Council together with the required fee

In addition to the above steps, your business classification determines any additional forms and certificates required for any particular Food Business.  Please see the following class specific requirements for buying an existing food business.

Class 1 & 2 Business must also:

  • Obtain a Food Safety Program & Food Safety Supervisor Certificate and submit a copy upon settlement

Class 3 Businesses must also:

Class 4 Businesses must also:

Please note, if your business is in either Class 1 or 2 and holds a QA Food Safety Program, a Food Safety Supervisor Certificate is not required to be submitted.

How can I submit these forms to council and is there a cost involved?  

All forms can be submitted via the following methods. Please refer to your relevant form for applicable fees.

  • By email (if payment is not required) to
  • By fax  (credit card) - complete the Payment Form (pdf, 114KB) with your credit card details and fax to 03 9518 3444
  • In person (cash/cheque/credit) - 293 Springvale Road, Glen Waverley  OR  3 Atherton Road, Oakleigh
  • By mail - forward cheque or money order Public Health Unit, PO Box 1, GLEN WAVERLEY  VIC  3150
    Please do not send cash through the mail.

Making alteration to your business?

Food Premises Design & Fit out Guidelines (pdf, 873KB) have been developed to assist in altering a food premises, in line with the Food Standards Code. 

If you decide to undertake any works, it is highly recommended to submit copies of plans to Council's Public Health Unit for approval prior to commencement of any works.  If plans are not submitted, any works undertaken must comply with the Food Standards Code and is the responsibility of the business proprietor.

Subscribe to page updates

Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.

Help us to improve

Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.

Last updated: 07 May 2019