Home-Based, Temporary and Mobile Food Businesses

Home-Based Food Businesses

Many people operate their own small business from their residential home. Such a use is called Home Occupation. The Monash Planning Scheme allows a person to use their residential home for home occupation provided certain specific requirements are fully satisfied. Please see the following guidelines for details: Home Based Business in Monash Guidelines.

If you want to make food from home to sell to others or even store food at home to sell to others, you will be considered a food business. Therefore you will require registration with you local Council under the Food Act 1984.

As a home based food business, you must comply with the requirements of the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code, and understand the following:

  • Domestic/residential kitchens are designed for domestic use, not for the operation of a food business
  • Domestic kitchens are only suitable for small scale, low to medium risk food activities
  • Large scale and/or high risk food activities need to be conducted from a commercial kitchen

For further information and the requirements of a Home-Based Food Business please refer the following guide: Setting up a Home Based Food Business (pdf, 527KB), and contact Council’s Public Health Unit on 03 9518 3555.

Community Groups

Council also offers a street stall permit for not for profit  purposes. Please note the following conditions to obtain this permit

Permits will only be issued:

  • To not for profit community groups situated within the City of Monash
  • Local community groups include, churches, sporting clubs, schools, kindergartens and neighbourhood community houses situated within this municipality
  • Where no detrimental impact will be caused to nearby businesses
  • Only in a designated Trading Zone and in accordance with Council’s Footpath Trading Policy

For further information and the requirements of Street Stall permit, contact Council’s Community Laws Unit on 9518 3555.

Application to Conduct a Street Stall (pdf, 768KB)

Temporary & Mobile Food Businesses

A state-wide online system for the registration or notification of temporary and mobile food premises, vending machines and water transport vehicles applies under the Food Act 1984.

  • Temporary food premises - temporary sites or stalls where food is sold. This includes stalls and tents at school fetes, markets, festivals and other short term events including sausage sizzles.
  • Mobile food premises - vehicles such as vans, trailers or carts from which food is sold.


If you wish to operate a temporary food premises or a mobile food van, simply visit the Streatrader website.

  1. Create your login and the system will guide you through the process until you are ready to lodge the forms with council.
  2. Once an application to register or notify is accepted by your 'Principal Council', your food business or community group can trade anywhere in Victoria, provided a Statement of Trade has been lodged with the Council in which you will be trading.

Statements of trade can be continually lodged and managed through 'Streatrader' by accessing your account.

For further information:

The single state-wide registration system is only relevant to registration under the Food Act 1984.

You may need separate council approval to operate in a public place (footpaths, for example). The Planning and Community Laws departments of the Council, in which you plan to trade, can advise you about the limitations and regulations relevant to your business.

Subscribe to page updates

Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.

Help us to improve

Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.

Last updated: 07 May 2019