Setting Up a New Food Business

Before planning any food business, please refer to Monash Council’s Public Health Food Premises Design & Fit Out Guidelines (pdf, 873KB)This will help ensure your premises meet the requirements of the Food Standards Code.

For a short video on starting a restaurant, please see the Department of Health’s website: Animation about how to start a food business. 

Approvals and permits

Council now offers a streamlined online single application form and specialist customer service through a Business Application Officer to help you upfront and throughout your permit process (checklists and tools to guide you through assessing and applying for the right permits). Visit: Starting or Buying a Business - Business Application Form

NOTE: If you would like to operate a food business from a residential home, visit: Home-Based Food Businesses

Please note that to enable you to complete the above process, you will need to give consideration to the following:

  1. Inquire as to whether approval and permits from other relevant authorities are required. This includes Council’s Planning and Building departments (call 9518 3555) and other relevant authorities, for example Yarra Valley Water or South East Water.

  2. Determine classification of food business under the Food Act 1984 and relevant requirements. Access this information at Food Business Classifications.

  3. Lodge copies of plans including specifications, or request an inspection of the premises if using an existing building. 



  • For a temporary or mobile premises, you need to apply for a permit using:
  • If your business primarily involves the manufacturing or production of dairy, red meat, poultry or seafood, you will need to register your business with Dairy Food Safety Victoria at or PrimeSafe instead of Council.


Relevant fees apply to each permit. After set-up and final inspection, Council will provide you with an invoice to pay the relevant fees. 

For a list of fees, please see Permit Fees (pdf, 103KB)

Payment methods:

  • In person (cash/cheque/credit) -  293 Springvale Road, Glen Waverley or 3 Atherton Road, Oakleigh
  • By phone – call Council in 9518 3555 and pay using your MasterCard, Visa or American Express card 
  • By mail - forward cheque or money order to Public Health Unit, PO Box 1, GLEN WAVERLEY, VIC, 3150

    Please do not send cash through the mail.

Subscribe to page updates

Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.

Help us to improve

Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.

Last updated: 29 June 2021