Street Parties

Image of Street Party Banner

Street parties are a fun and popular way to bring your neighbours together and gather on the street in areas usually reserved for cars.

Closing your street for a street party requires an Event Permit.

There is no cost for this permit, however you will need to fill out supportive documentation including an Event Plan, Risk Assessment Plan and Site Map. This process ensures that your street is suitable to be closed and that your event will be delivered safely.


Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the State Government has introduced mandated social distancing of 1.5m and hygiene requirements in the interest of public safety.

Event organisers submitting an Expression of Interest (EOI) to conduct an event in the City of Monash must demonstrate how they will meet current social distancing and hygiene requirements.

Permits will be issued on the condition the event complies with the Victorian State Government’s restrictions on public gatherings due to COVID-19 at the time of the event.  Should State Government restrictions not allow your event to proceed, your permit will no longer be valid. While Council will do its best to advise you of any changes which may impact on your event, it is your responsibility to ensure that you are complying with the State Government restrictions. Council is not responsible for any loss resulting from changes to State Government restrictions. 

Want to arrange a Street Party?

Council has created a Street Party Guide (pdf, 2MB) to step you through the process of organising a Street Party.

Get in touch

  • Complete an Expression of Interest (EOI) form online. This online questionnaire provides Council with an overview of your Street Party. It does not imply that the event is approved – it is a registration of interest only.
  • Council will then provide you with the required supportive documentation to complete to obtain an Event Permit.

Apply for Event Permit

  • Complete and submit an Event Plan, Site Map, Risk Assessment Plan and Agreement from Neighbours form to Council.
  • After the forms have been approved, Council will develop a Traffic Management Plan that will include the type and number of signs and barricades and their placement on the street.
  • Council will issue an Event Permit once all the necessary documentation is complete. The permit will include a list of conditions you need to comply with in order to safely deliver your Street Party.


Event Plan (pdf, 484KB)

Agreement from Neighbours form (pdf, 425KB)

Sample invitation (pdf, 4MB)

Host your party!

Subscribe to page updates

Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.

Help us to improve

Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.

Last updated: 20 May 2021