Due to the current COVID-19 (coronavirus) situation in Victoria, VicHealth has postponed This Girl Can Week 2020 until further notice. Council's This Girl Can events (see below) will be cancelled for the time being. We will keep our community updated on when new dates have been confirmed.
Council is proud to be partnering with VicHealth for This Girl Can Week to encourage local women to get active – however, wherever and whenever they choose, without being judged.
This Girl Can Week (23-29 March 2020) aims to encourage more women to give physical activity a go, or return to exercise after a break. It’s a great opportunity to try something new, whether it’s a walk in the park, a gym session, a swim or a game of netball with friends.
Council received a $15,000 grant from VicHealth to promote the campaign to local women and host a series of events.
The following FREE events will be held in Monash during This Girl Can Week:
- Women's Health Seminar at Clayton Community Centre Theatrette
Tuesday 24 March, 7pm-9pm
The Active Monash Health and Wellness Team Leader for Programs will be leading a panel of inspiring women in the areas of leadership, as well as Active Health.
To find out more and to book: Women's Health Seminar
- Active Pride Night at Monash Aquatic & Recreation Centre (MARC)
Saturday 28 March, 7.30pm-10pm
Join us for our first ever Pride Night. MARC will open its doors to everyone in the community, with a focus on encouraging people from the LGBTQIA+ community to come into the centre and experience our facilities in a friendly and inclusive environment.
To find out more and to book: Pride Night
- Women's Only Day at Clayton Aquatics & Health Club (CAHC)
Sunday 29 March, 6.30pm-9pm
We're opening the entire CAHC facility to women of all backgrounds and walks of life. Programs from learn to swim and group exercise will be running, together with gym access.
To find out more and to book: Women's Only Open Night
What's on in Monash
Local organisations are also getting involved in the campaign and will be offering the following:
Pram Walking Group by Mackie Road Neighbourhood House
- Launching on Wednesday 25 March 2020, 10.30am-11.30am
- Meet at Mackie Road Neighbourhood House (36-42 Mackie Road, Mulgrave)
- Free event, register online: www.trybooking.com/610126
- Contact Laua Orr at Mackie Road Neighbourhood House for more information: 9548 3311 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Walking Netball delivered by Waverley Netball Centre
- Come and Try on Monday 16 and 23 March 2020, 10am-11am
- Contact Waverley Netball Centre for more information on: 9560 7023
Women Hit It Up (WHIP) program by Waverley Hockey Club
- Free 8 week social hockey program for women
- All new equipment provided, no costs or commitment necessary. Just fun on the field!
- Every Monday night from 3 February to 23 March 2020, 6.45pm to 8pm
- Hedley Hull Field, 30 Winbirra Parade, Ashwood
- Contact Erica Zhou on 0484 006 862 or email waverleyWHIP@gmail.com
Bowling with Babies at Mount Waverley Bowling Club
- The Club can arrange a time that suits your availability
- Contact Barry McDonald on 9808 3606 or 0438 367 467
Positive Ageing Lifestyles (PALS)
PALS is a Positive Ageing Lifestyle Program aimed at promoting healthy and active ageing. This program offers free or low-cost activities for older adults aged over 60.
Out 10 neighbourhood houses offer a broad range of social, educational, recreational and support programs and activities.
ACT!VE Women is a women’s only program designed for women in the City of Monash.
During these fortnightly sessions the pool is supervised by female staff and entry includes access to private heated indoor pool and spa. Sessions provide a great opportunity to socially connect with others and have fun in a safe, private environment.