Monash Council operates weekly playgroups for families and children from birth to 5 years.
The service has a playgroup facilitator onsite during open hours to welcome and support you.
Who Can Attend?
Mums, dads, grandparents, carers and their children aged up to 5 are all welcome.
Playgroup end of lockdown update
Face to face playgroup sessions have now resumed! Families who had a booking prior to lockdown will be contacted by the playgroup team, who will outline some necessary changes to sessions. For those who don’t yet have a booking, if you have not yet been in touch with us, please send us an email to express your interest in attending a group.
As we transition back to face to face playgroups, most of our playgroup sessions will be held outdoors for the first few weeks.
Virtual Playgroup Sessions
We will continue to offer virtual playgroup sessions each week. If you have not already joined us online for a Virtual Playgroup Session, it is not too late to start! Join us for some stories, singing and dancing. You will be amazed by just how much your kids will enjoy this online experience. Below are our current sessions:
- Wednesdays: 10am to 11am
- Thursdays: 6.30pm to 7pm
We will send out reminder emails with links each day. If you are not already on the playgroups communications list and would like to take part in our virtual playgroup sessions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Face to Face Playgroup Requirements
As required under State Government directions, all visitors to Playgroup must check in and provide proof of being fully vaccinated using the Service Vic app, Medicare app or printed authorised certificate OR provide an authorised Medical Certificate of exemption prior to entry. Children under 16 years of age are not required to be vaccinated to join us at Playgroups, however they must be accompanied by a fully vaccinated adult. Entry will not be permitted otherwise.
If you are not vaccinated or do not have a medical exemption, unfortunately you cannot join us in the Playgroup space, but you can still access support from the team online or over the phone. Please email email@example.com if you require support.
Benefits of Playgroup
Participation in playgroup provides benefits to children and their parents, grandparents and/or carers.
For children, playgroups provide valuable opportunities for children to learn and develop through play.
For parents, grandparents and/or carers, playgroups create opportunities to meet in a safe and supportive environment and learn new skills, develop social networks and build linkages to other services, reducing social isolation.
Did you know?
- Children learn a lot in their early years of life before starting school.
- Whether you are a parent, grandparent or carer, it is important for you and your child to learn together to give your child the very best start to life.
- When you spend time playing with your child, you make a real difference to their future.
- Children’s experiences in their earliest years are vital to their ongoing development.
- Experiences in the early years have a major impact on future achievements at school and later in life.
- Supporting children’s learning and health and wellbeing before they begin school will give them a greater chance of a positive future.
- Learning through play alongside people that mean the most to them is a really positive experience for children.
Please note: we encourage engagement, interaction and participation. We request that no mobile phones are used during sessions so you are present and available to your child.
Our Playgroup Centres
Cabena Child and Family Centre: 22 Cabena Crescent, Chadstone
Legend Park Child and Family Centre: 56 King Arthur Drive, Glen Waverley
Essex Heights Playgroup Centre: 15 Outlook Drive, Mount Waverley
Mackie Road Neighbourhood House: Wellington Reserve Community Centre, 36-42 Mackie Road, Mulgrave
Clayton Community Centre: 9-15 Cooke Street, Clayton
Why visit a City of Monash Playgroup Centre?
- Experience an engaging environment where children and carers can have quality interactions together and be supported in your community
- Interact in fun, interesting activities and experiences
- Meet other families with young children in your local area
- Gain support in the development of parenting skills
- Playgroup staff give you the support you need to be the best parent/carer you can be. You will make new friends, get support and have fun with your child.
COVIDSafe Playgroup Sessions
City of Monash playgroups are following the advice of the Department of Health & Human Services. As such, we are currently taking bookings for face-to-face groups with limited numbers across our 5 venues.
Our timetable is regularly reviewed to ensure we continue to meet the needs of our families. These sessions are held across our various centres.
Bookings are essential for all face-to-face playgroup sessions.
To enrol in a playgroup session, or to find out more information about the current timetable, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0407 883 830.
Online Virtual Playgroup
We currently offer Virtual Playgroup where children have the opportunity to listen to stories, and sing, dance and engage with our playgroup facilitators. These sessions are open to all Monash residents.
A link is sent out the morning of each session. If you are not already on our mailing list, or if you would like more information, please email email@example.com or call 0407 883 830.
Playgroup Enrolment and Booking Process
If you would like to join one of our playgroup sessions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0407 883 830 for more information.
Playgroup for Dads (Uncles, Grandfathers)
Monash Council operates playgroup sessions specifically for dads, grandfathers and/or male carers of young children aged up to 5 years. They run monthly on a Saturday morning.
This is a wonderful opportunity for dads to enjoy some quality time with their child(ren) and connect with other dads in the local community.
If you would like more information, please email email@example.com or call 0407 883 830.
- Offer free playgroup sessions run during the school term with a Supported Playgroup Facilitator
- Offer a range of simple, positive parenting strategies called Smalltalk
- Provide eligible families home visits for one-on-one support
- Welcome referrals from families and organisations
- Support parents to learn to celebrate their parenting successes and encourage them to develop their own parenting strategies
Available to families with a Health Care Card (or eligible visa), Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander children and children in kinship care arrangements, or families that have been referred by supporting agencies or organisations.
Join a Supported Playgroup
Joining a Supported Playgroup is simple, just call the Supported Playgroup Facilitator on 0466 026 290 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to refer a family, or for more information, please call 0466 026 290 or email email@example.com
Playgroup Victoria - Join a Playgroup
Visit Playgroup Victoria to find a playgroup in your area – search for Monash or by postcode or suburb.
Start a Playgroup
New playgroups are often created for various reasons, including:
- There are no playgroups in the area
- The playgroups in the area are full
- There are no playgroups held on a certain day
- An existing mothers' group would like to find a larger venue to cater for growing children
- There is a need for playgroups for families with a specific interest (for example, fathers, working parents, grandparents, young parents, multicultural or school-based)
If you are interested in starting your own playgroup, all you need are a couple of families and a place to meet.
The City of Monash has venues that are suitable for playgroup sessions.
For more information on starting a playgroup, please visit Playgroup Victoria.
If you need support in finding a playgroup venue or starting a playgroup, please call the Playgroup Support Facilitator on 0466 026 290 or email firstname.lastname@example.org