Complaints Process

We accept complaints as an important part of community feedback and use the feedback to improve our service to the community.

A complaints process has been created to help you make a complaint to Council and to ensure a complaint is handled in a fair and courteous manner and within established timeframes. The process also ensures a complaint is treated as confidential and that you are kept informed about how the investigation of your complaint is progressing.

Complaint matters

What is a complaint?

A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction with a service, procedure, practice, staff conduct, Council decision or quality of services or goods provided. 

Complaints may be about:

  • Council staff behaviour
  • Council policies
  • Council procedures or practices
  • Inadequate response to request for service
  • Standard of Council services

The complaint process cannot deal with:

  • Matters relating to crimes
  • Matters involving disputes between individuals or groups
  • Councillor behaviour
  • Matters relating to claims of a financial nature made against the Council
  • Standard requests for Council services

Matters relating to crimes:

These should be referred to Victoria Police.

Matters concerning disputes between individuals or groups may be referred to community legal aid services (telephone: 1300 792 387) or dispute settlement centres (telephone: 8803 8533 or 8765 5222).

Complaints regarding Councillor behaviour:

These may be referred to the: 

  • Mayor of the City of Monash, via the Mayor's office (phone 9518 3524), or mail, PO Box 1 Glen Waverley Vic 3150) or
  • Ombudsman Victoria (phone 9613 6222 or via email

Complaints regarding breach of privacy:

Where you consider there has been a breach of your privacy by Council, you may make a complaint to the Council's Information Privacy Officer. 

The Council's Information Privacy Policy details the complaints handling process for complaints regarding breach of privacy. 

More information and contact details: Privacy Policy (including complaints regarding breach of privacy)

Standard requests for Council services (request for service):

This relates to complaints such as:

  • Excessive noise
  • Barking dogs
  • Illegal parking
  • Overgrown vegetation
  • Illegal building works 

These complaints will be investigated by the relevant Authorised Officers of the Council. 

Please contact Council's Customer Service Centre by phone 9518 3555, email or via mail, PO Box 1 Glen Waverley Vic 3150 regarding complaints of this nature.

How to make a complaint

Complaints can be made:

Please provide as much information as you can about the complaint you wish to make.

Details may relate to the individuals involved, the circumstances that led to the complaint, dates, locations or times.

Complaints can be made anonymously (should you wish).

Who should a complaint be made to?

A complaint should, in the first instance, be made to the Manager responsible for the area (pdf, 136KB) the complaint relates to. If you are not sure who is responsible for the matter you wish to complain about, please contact Council's Customer Service Unit on 9518 3555, or Jarrod Doake, Chief Operating Officer, phone 9518 3521.

Should you not feel comfortable or consider it appropriate to contact the responsible Manager, please contact Council's Complaints Officer, phone 9518 3509 or email, who will liaise with the relevant Manager.

Complaints will be treated as confidential.

All personal and health information collected by the Council in connection with a complaint will be handled in accordance with all applicable privacy laws and will only be used for the purpose of investigating the complaint.

Response to a complaint

Within 2 business days of a complaint being received, the responsible Manager will send you a written acknowledgment.

Within 1 business day of the complaint being received, the responsible Manager will commence an investigation of the complaint.

The responsible Manager may need to contact you to seek further information about the complainant.

The Manager will finalise their investigation within 10 business days after commencing it.

If the investigation requires more time to be completed, the Manager will contact you to advise you.

Findings of investigation and request for review

The responsible Manager will inform you of the outcome of their investigation of the complaint.

As part of that response, the Manager will inform you that, should you not be satisfied with the outcome of the investigation, you may make a request for it to be reviewed by either the Manager's Director or by the Council's Chief Executive Officer.

The Chief Executive Officer's and the Director's details will be provided to you in that response.

Should there be a reason for the findings not being released, you will be advised of the decision and the basis on which that decision was made.


The Chief Executive Officer or the Director will finalise their review of the original decision findings of the investigation within 14 days of receiving the request for the review. They will inform you of the outcome in writing.

Complaints Officer

The Complaints Officer will assist the Responsible Manager, the Director and the Chief Executive Officer, in the management of the complaint. He can be contacted on 9518 3509 or email

Review by the Ombudsman

If you consider we have not resolved your complaint, you may contact Ombudsman Victoria by phone on 9613 6222 or via email

Subscribe to page updates

Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.

Help us to improve

Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.

Last updated: 03 September 2021