Registering Your Pet

Cat and dog

All dogs and cats in Monash aged over three months must be registered and microchipped. All pets must be registered within 14 days of being housed in Monash.

Registrations must be renewed annually by 10 April. If you do not register a pet, you may be subject to a fine.


Renewal notices for 2021/2022 were sent out mid-March.

New registration

If you have more than 2 cats and/or 2 dogs, then prior to registration you will need to obtain an additional animal permit under the Local Law. For more information, refer to the Additional animal permit page.

Restricted breed dogs can only be registered if they were in Victoria prior to 1 September 2010 or registered with another Council in Victoria prior to 30 September 2011. Read more: Restricted breed dog registration.

In order to register your cat with the City of Monash, your cat must be desexed.

How do I register my cat or dog?


Prepare supporting documentation and apply online:

New Cat/Dog Registration

If you require a paper-based form, please contact Council on 9518 3555.

In person

Visit Council's Customer Service Centre. You will also need your supporting documentation.

Renew existing registration

2021/22 renewal notices were distributed in mid-March 2021. If you have not received your animal registration renewal notice, please phone us on 9518 3555.

You can renew your animal registration online:

Renew dog registration

Renew cat registration

To register a pet from another Council, please use the options above to apply for a Monash registration. You should apply for a refund from the original council.

Reduced fees are available for any new animal registrations received from 10 October to 9 April each year.

For more information, please phone us on 9518 3555.

Registration fees

Registration fees 2021/22 are $49.00 for dogs and $41.50 for cats who fulfil one or more of the following criteria:

  • Desexed
  • Over 10 years old
  • Member of an applicable organisation
  • Obedience trained/a working stock dog

Concession rates 2021/22

Holders of a pension concession card, war widow entitlement or TPI* enhancements, will pay $60 (dogs) and $51 (cats) for the maximum fee, or $20 (dogs) and $17 (cats) for the reduced fee. This does not include health care cards or seniors cards.

*Totally & Permanently Incapacitated Ex-Servicemen & Women

Proof of concession must be supplied.

Satisfactory proof that your pet is eligible for the lower fee must be supplied along with your application.

You may be exempt from registration fees if your animal fulfils one of the following criteria:

  • Greyhounds* currently registered with Greyhound Racing Victoria (GRV)
  • Working guide dogs and puppies
  • Government dogs exempt under section 8 of the Domestic Animals Act 1994

*Your greyhound must be racing or breeding and remain registered with GRV to be considered exempt from registration with Council.

For more information regarding greyhounds, please visit Legal requirements for greyhound owners

Dogs declared dangerous or menacing are not eligible for the concession or reduced rate.


Cats and dogs must be registered and microchipped by 3 months of age.

Microchipping is mandatory, and satisfactory proof (a certificate signed and dated by a registered vet or by a licensed agent certified to undertake microchipping) is required.

The National Pet Register is Australia's largest non-profit pet identification service, and is run by The Lost Dogs' Home.

The National Pet Register reunites more than 23,000 lost pets with their owners every year. Make sure your pet is microchipped by a National Pet Register agent.


Desexed animals are less likely to wander, spray to mark territory, and be aggressive.

Pets from 8 weeks of age can be desexed by a vet, and most fully recover within 24 hours.

Replacement tags for your pet

Your animal identification tag is a lifetime tag. You will not be issued a new tag every time your animal’s registration is renewed.

It is mandatory for an animal to be wearing an identification tag. If you need a replacement tag, phone 9518 3555 or visit us.

Refund of current animal registration fees

Council may consider a 50% refund of your current animal registration fee up to, but not after 30 June each year, if:

  • Your pet has died
  • You have moved outside of the Monash Council area

Please complete the form below and return to Council if you wish to request a refund of your current pet registration fee:

Animal Registration Refund Application (pdf, 900KB)

Proof of an animal’s death or desexing must be provided.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, refunds are being done by electronic bank transfer instead of by cheque. 

Supporting documentation (animal registration)

Dog obedience certificate - the following organisations have been approved by the Minister for Agriculture as approved obedience training organisations, in accordance with the requirements of Section 5B of the DA Act.

  • Australian Association of Professional Dog Trainers Inc.
  • The Gentle Dog Trainers Association Inc.
  • Dogs Victoria
  • Four Paws K9 Training

Cat/Dog registered with an applicable organisation - owner must be a current member (proof of registration and membership must be provided).

Applicable organisations:

  • Australia National Cats Inc.
  • Dogs Victoria
  • Feline Control Council (Victoria) Inc.
  • The Governing Council of the Cat Fancy Australia and Victoria
  • Master Dog Breeders and Associates (MDBA)

Other documents:

  • Microchip proof letter (from Vet or national pet records)
  • Pension Concession Card, War Widow entitlement or Special Rate Veterans (Health Care Cards and Seniors Cards are not included).
  • Desexing certificate (from Vet)
  • Vet Certificate if over 10, for new registrations
  • Certificate for Greyhound Adoption Program (GAP)

Subscribe to page updates

Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.

Help us to improve

Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.

Last updated: 07 July 2021