Animal Regulations


Cat curfew will be introduced in Monash in 2020.

The cat curfew is one of a number of measures in Council’s Domestic Animal Management Plan 2017-2021, which was adopted at the 31 October 2017 Council meeting.

More information: Community consultations

Please read our Domestic Animal Management Plan 2017-2021 (pdf, 1MB). It explains our policies for pets and other animals.

Restrictions on number of animals

You can keep a number of animals on your property without a permit:

  • Dogs - limit 2
  • Cats - limit 2

You can apply to keep extra animals by filling out the form below. If you already have extra animals, use the renewal form.

Apply for additional animal permit (pdf, 1MB)

Renew Additional Animal Permit

Infringement notices

If your animal is deemed to be  a nuisance or if you do not apply to register them, you may get an infringement notice. Infringement Notices may be issued to the owner of a dog or cat found to be committing an offence prescribed in the Domestic Animals Act or under Council's General Provisions Local Law No. 3

Offence Type

  • Registered dog or cat not wearing Council identification marker outside premises
  • Dog or cat creating a nuisance
  • Failure to collect and properly dispose of any excrement deposited by animal
  • Dog at large or not securely confined to owner's premises during day time
  • Dog at large not securely confined to owner's premises during night time
  • Failure to apply to register a dog or cat
  • Minor dog attack

If you want to appeal an infringement notice you can write to us until the expiry date of the notice:

Coordinator - Community Laws
City of Monash
PO Box 1
Glen Waverley VIC 3150

The Magistrates Court can also deal with the matter. For more information call 9518 3555.

Nuisance animals

If an animal is a nuisance, such as a barking dog, you can complain to us. We will send you a log sheet for you to keep a record of the animal's behaviour. If the nuisance continues, we can further action if other residents support your complaint.

Barking Dog Information (pdf, 57KB)

Cruelty to animals

If you think someone is being cruel to an animal please contact the RSPCA immediately on 9224 2222.

Anyone found guilty of being cruel to an animal faces fines and possible imprisonment.

Dangerous dogs

We can declare a dog to be dangerous if it seriously injures a person or animal.

If your dog attacks someone outside your property you may have to pay damages to the victim. Your dog could also be destroyed.

If your dog is declared dangerous it must be:

  • kept in a child-proof enclosure
  • muzzled and under control
  • on leash at all times while off the owner's property
  • wearing a special collar and warning signs erected at the owner's property.

Council can declare a dog to be 'menacing' if it has rushed at or chased a person. However, we are unlikely to do so if the victim was trespassing or attacking someone known to the dog.

Restricted dog breeds

Your must advise Council if you own any of the following breeds:

  • American Pit Bull Terrier (or Pit Bull Terrier)
  • Japanese Tosa
  • Dogo Argentino
  • Fila Brasilero
  • Perro de Presa Canarion (or Presa Canario)

The only restricted breed dogs that are allowed to be kept are those dogs that were in Victoria prior to 1 September 2010 and are registered (as any breed) with the local council prior to 30 September 2011.

Prior to the State Election in November 2014, Councils could seize and destroy restricted breed dogs if they had not been de-sexed and registered.

Since the State Election in 2014, the State Government has imposed a moratorium on the destruction of restricted breed dogs while legislation is being reviewed.

Councils are now required to hold restricted breed dogs, rather than euthanising them, until 30 September 2016.

There are strict controls associated with the keeping of restricted breed dogs and there are heavy penalties for failing to comply with those controls. Owners of restricted breed dogs are encouraged to seek further advice from Council's Animal Management team on 9518 3555.

Subscribe to page updates

Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.

Help us to improve

Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.

Last updated: 27 May 2019