Due to the current COVID-19 lockdown, the Waste Transfer Station is only open to trade/permitted work types from 7.30am-3pm Monday to Saturday, closed on Sundays.
Anyone visiting the site must wear a mask and check in via QR code or manually.
Residents who need to dispose of waste at this time outside their kerbside collection can book an additional paid hard waste collection or arrange waste removal (such as a skip) from a private provider.
Grand Final Public Holiday
Due to the Grand Final public holiday on Friday 24 September, the opening hours of the Waste Transfer Station over the weekend are:
Friday 24 September: Open 7.30am to 3pm.
Saturday 25 September: Open 7.30am to 1pm.
Sunday 26 September: Closed.
The Waste Transfer Station is at 380 Ferntree Gully Rd, Notting Hill. Phone: 9518 3555.
It is closed on some public holidays including: Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years’ Day, Good Friday, Easter Sunday and before noon on Anzac Day.
For staff and customer safety, the Transfer Station may temporarily close to the public during extreme weather conditions.
Changes to Waste Transfer and Recycling Station during upgrade works
As a result of upgrade works scheduled to start on Monday 31 May, the facility will be unable to accept tipping of some materials during construction. In addition, some large vehicles and vehicle combinations may be restricted because of limited space.
Read more: Changes to Waste Transfer and Recycling Station
Find out more about what can and can't be disposed of at the Monash Waste Transfer and Recycling Station, and alternative tipping locations, below:
These items are transported to processors to be recycled:
- Computers, laptops, printers, fax machines, televisions and computer monitors
- Paper and Cardboard (Visy)
- Scrap Metal
- Commingled Recycling (Visy)
- Batteries (household batteries and car batteries - up to 15)
- Light globes
- Fluro tubes/CFL globes (max. 5)
- Printer cartridges (Cartridges for Planet Ark)
- Mobile phones (Mobile Muster)
- X-Ray Films
- Engine Oil (30 litres or less)
- Paint (check accepted products Paintback)
- Whitegoods (fees apply for fridges, freezers and air conditioners)
- Cooking Oil (up to 20 litres)
- Polystyrene (made of white clean balls) – amounts up to ½ m3 are free
Paid disposal - fees and charges
We charge by volume for general rubbish, green waste, concrete and soil. Please remove any tarps so the window operator can view the load.
Volume = Length x Width x Height
For example: 6’ x 4’ trailer = 1.8 x 1.2 x 0.45 = 1m3 which equals 1m3 charged for disposal.
We accept EFTPOS. To save on station fees and charges, refer to this document: Sort it and Save (pdf, 310KB)
Items are charged fees (listed below) to pay for transport, processing or disposal:
- Clean green waste (recycled)
- Mixed green waste
- Household goods (furniture)
- Fridges, freezers and air conditioners (recycled)
- Building materials
- Concrete, bricks (recycled)
- Domestic LPG gas bottles (recycled)
- Mattresses (recycled)
- Bed bases
- Polystyrene - over ½ m3and from commercial sources (recycled)
- Tyres (recycled)
*Please present your valid pension, seniors, veterans affairs or health care card for the reduced disposal rate. This rate is not available to commercial customers.
Waste transport, processing or disposal fee by volume
|Type of material
||Up to, and per ½ m³
|General Waste - with valid concession or seniors card*
|Clean Green Waste
|Clean Green Waste - with valid concession or seniors card*
|Mixed General/Green Waste
|Commercial soil (loads over 1m³)
||$375.00 per m³
|Polystyrene (up to ½m³)
|Polystyrene (residential - over ½m³)
|Polystyrene (commercial - over ½m³)
Waste transport, processing or disposal fee by item
|Type of Material
|General Waste - Car Boot
|Fridges/Freezers/Air conditioners (large)
|Domestic LPG gas bottles up to 9kg/Fire extinguishers
|Car engine oil (over 30 litres)
||$3.00 per litre
|Car tyres - without rim
|Car tyres - with rim
If you are uncertain about whether your item can be left at the Waste Transfer Station, please call 9518 3555.
Materials not accepted
- Domestic garbage
- Liquid and hazardous wastes
- Car bodies, auto transmissions, car differential oil
- Cooking oils (over 20 litres)
- Petrol and fuels
Take household chemicals to your closest free drop-off event (see below).
Free household chemical drop-off
Sustainability Victoria holds a free household chemical drop-off service each month at different locations across Victoria. This is where you safely dispose old chemicals and other dangerous substances.
For more information on dates and locations visit Sustainability Victoria or call on the toll-free info line on 1300 363 744.
You can drop unwanted medicines off at your local pharmacy.
Other council-run and private transfer stations
Nearby council-run transfer stations include:
There are also a number of privately run landfill/transfer stations:
- Transpacific Victory Road Green Transfer Station, 46 Victory Road, Clarinda. Phone: 9552 1700. Green waste only.
- Kingston Transfer Station (Rhino Bins), 24-30 Fonceca Street, Mordialloc. Phone: 9580 4842.
- Alex Fraser Recycled Material, 275-315 Kingston Road, Clarinda. Phone: 136 135. Concrete, bricks, asphalt and rocks only.
- Westall Road Resource Recovery Pty Ltd, 12 Westall Road, Springvale. Phone: 1300 988 090. Green waste, hard waste, plastics, metal, white goods.