Community Groups and Not-for-Profit Organisations

If you are a community group or not-for-profit body wanting to sell food in Victoria, different definitions apply regarding food regulations. Read the Guide to food safety regulation for community groups (pdf, 2MB) to see what requirements apply to your group.

Watch this video to understand what you need to do.  You can also use the simple classification tool to identify the classification for your event.

If your community group wishes to operate a Home-Based Food Business, Temporary or Mobile Food Premises, please follow the previous link and then visit the Streatrader website.

Street Stalls

Council  offers a street stall permit for not for profit  purposes under the following conditions.

Permits will only be issued:

  • To not for profit community groups situated within the City of Monash
  • Local community groups include, churches, sporting clubs, schools, kindergartens and neighbourhood community houses situated within this municipality
  • Where no detrimental impact will be caused to nearby businesses
  • Only in a designated Trading Zone and in accordance with Council’s Footpath Trading Policy

Contact Council’s Community Laws Unit on 9518 3555.

Application to Conduct a Street Stall (pdf, 768KB)


Class 2

  • These are food businesses that handle any unpackaged, potentially hazardous foods.
  • These community groups must register with Council and have a Food Safety Program, based on an appropriate template.
  • A community group running food events of 1–2 days duration, where those handling the food are mostly volunteers, do not need a food safety supervisor. This is true even if the event is classified as Class 2. If you are a community group and you are planning to run food-related activities for more than two days, speak to your local council about your food safety supervisor requirements.

Class 3

  • Are premises handling unpackaged low risk foods or that sell potentially hazardous pre-packaged foods, or the warehousing or distribution of pre-packaged foods, and the sale of eggs.
  • Or the sale of ready-to-eat, potentially hazardous food by a community group if all of the food is cooked on site and served immediately, the majority of persons involved in the handling of the food are volunteers; and this activity takes place for a maximum of two consecutive days.
  • These community groups must register with Council and keep Minimum Records Sheet.  For further information please refer to Food safety guide for community groups Class 3 (pdf, 4MB).

Class 4

  • Community groups selling low risk, pre-packaged, foods where the event/activity can run for no more than two days at a time.  
  • Community groups operating a sausage sizzle (sausage, sauce, onion and bread only), or are selling tea, coffee, biscuits, pre-packaged or covered cakes (without cream) fall within this classification.
  • Class 4 community groups are not required to register with Council, however must complete a Notification of a Food Premises Form (pdf, 261KB) and submit to Council.

For enquiries about the risk classification of a community group, contact Council’s Public Health Unit on 9518 3555.

Subscribe to page updates

Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.

Help us to improve

Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.

Last updated: 08 January 2020