Food Premises

Cake cafe business owners

Council's Environmental Health Officers conduct annual food safety inspections of food businesses to ensure proper food safety measures are being carried out.

Everybody who prepares and/or stores food for sale is required under the Food Act 1984 to register their business with Council or notify Council of their operation.

If you wish to renew registration for your business, you can do it Online or by visiting the Monash Civic Centre or Oakleigh Service Centre.

    The Food Act 1984 defines four different classes of food premises, each with different registration or notification requirements. 

    To find out which class your new business falls into, refer to our Food Business Classifications section or contact Council’s Public Health Unit on 9518 3555. 

    You can also find out more information on:



    Subscribe to page updates

    Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.

    Help us to improve

    Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.

    Last updated: 26 July 2021