Home-Based Food Businesses

Many people operate their own small business from their residential home. Such a use is called Home Occupation. The Monash Planning Scheme allows a person to use their residential home for home occupation provided certain specific requirements are fully satisfied. Please see the following guidelines for details: Home Based Business in Monash Guidelines.

If you want to make food from home to sell to others or even store food at home to sell to others, you will be considered a food business. Therefore you will require registration with you local Council under the Food Act 1984.

As a home based food business, you must comply with the requirements of the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code, and understand the following:

  • Domestic/residential kitchens are designed for domestic use, not for the operation of a food business
  • Domestic kitchens are only suitable for small scale, low to medium risk food activities
  • Large scale and/or high risk food activities need to be conducted from a commercial kitchen

For further information and the requirements of a Home-Based Food Business please refer the following guide: Setting up a Home Based Food Business (pdf, 527KB), and contact Council’s Public Health Unit on 03 9518 3555.

Register online

Council now offers a streamlined online single application form and specialist customer service through a Business Application Officer to assist you up front and throughout your permit process (checklists and tools to guide you through assessing and applying for the right permits). Visit: Starting or Buying a Business - Business Application Form

Subscribe to page updates

Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.

Help us to improve

Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.

Last updated: 25 August 2019