Monash Council’s survey of more than 105,785 homes in the municipality, seeking direction on the future collection of hard waste, has provided an extraordinary community response.
Mayor Paul Klisaris said the response had been outstanding, with more than 26,000 responses provided so far. Cr Klisaris said the final figure was expected to be higher as the survey responses are still being counted. The survey closed on Monday 11 December.
Two options were canvassed in the survey, with the first option to retain the current annual hard waste collection with the addition of an at-call collection service for a fee.
The second option provides for an enhanced hard waste collection enabling the resident to access up to six at-call pickups of hard waste, green waste and cardboard, and to choose the date when these pick-ups occur.
A second question asked whether residents supported a pensioner discount as part of option two.
“The results so far are that almost 77% of Monash residents have advised that their preference is for option one, keeping the current service but adding an additional at-call service for a fee,” Cr Klisaris said.
“It’s an extraordinary response and I thank all those in the community who have taken the time to provide Council with their views.
“Council will now consider these options at our next meeting on 30 January. I cannot preempt the vote, but will say that the community has provided Council with a very clear directive as to what they prefer and we take that advice seriously.”
The community’s response to the pensioner discount option was also high at 75% of respondents. However, this discount only applies if option two is adopted.
A report on the survey results will be tabled at the 30 January Council meeting and the full results of the survey made public.
Media Contact: Emily Webb 0466 026 560 or email Emily.Webb@monash.vic.gov.au