Cr Nicky Luo is a first-time Councillor for the 2020-2024 term, elected to represent the Glen Waverley Ward.
Nicky migrated to Australia from China with her family in 1997. She is a proud local resident who grew up in Glen Waverley and now works and raises her two children here.
Nicky completed her VCE at Glen Waverley Secondary College; has degrees in Nursing, and Applied Science (Health Promotion); as well as a post graduate degree in Mental Health Nursing (child and adolescent) and a Master of Clinical Family Therapy. She has worked in psychiatry for almost 15 years in both public health and non-profit settings. She is now employed as a mental health clinical nurse consultant and family therapist and has dedicated her working life to supporting the most vulnerable people in the community.
Nicky volunteers in the community providing education, support, assistance for residents of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds. She is multilingual and other than English speaks Cantonese, Mandarin, and Hakka.
Nicky is very passionate about health, particularly mental health. She has a strong interest in providing in-depth information for the community to reduce stigma and create inclusive communities.
Nicky’s motto is Monash in Motion. Her focus over this term of Council are:
- Improved car parking and traffic management in and around Kingsway for the benefit of both patrons and traders
- Supporting local businesses and local jobs
- Placing a high priority on improving our footpaths, bike trails and street lighting so that pedestrians and cyclists have access to safe and accessible routes
- Increased funding for playgrounds, parks, and sport facilities
- Champion the needs of vulnerable residents
Nicky is a member of the following committees and other bodies of Council: