Council has decided to live stream its meetings, so people unable to attend can watch online.
People will be able to watch meetings live or at a later time, with a video of each meeting to remain on Council’s website for at least a year.
The 1st Council meeting to be live streamed was on Tuesday 28 February 2017.
The videos of our meetings are available on the archive page.
Cameras won't film members of the public asking a question or sitting in the public gallery, in case this discourages people from participating in Council meetings. Only the audio of public questions will be included in the webcast.
It will cost Council about $15,000 to set up the live streaming and about $15,000 per year to implement it.
In her recent report on local government transparency, the Victorian Ombudsman listed live streaming of Council meetings as one measure that contributes towards a Council being transparent with its community. Here is a link to the Ombudsman's website if you are interested in her investigation into the transparency of local government decision making.
Enquiries: Jarrod Doake, Chief Operating Officer, on 9518 3521 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Here is the resolution Council made at its 31 January 2017 meeting:
That the Council resolves to:
1. live stream Council meetings via the Council website (and) to make available video recordings of Council meetings via the Council website on the day following the meeting for at least twelve months
2. direct Council officers to seek quotations on the most effective method of delivery
3. authorise Officers to accept the quotation they believe to achieve the objectives outlined in the report and in line with projected costs to direct Officers to implement the appropriate technology to accommodate live streaming in time for the March 2017 Council Meeting.
4. instruct Officers that cameras be situated so that the video feed does not incorporate the public gallery or the face of residents or ratepayers asking questions.
5. instruct Officers that the feed should include the audio of public questions only.