The upgrade to the east sportsground at Mulgrave Reserve in Wheelers Hill is now complete, making it the first full sand profile ground constructed in Monash.
The reconstruction works began in mid-November 2017 and were completed in June 2018.
The $900,000 upgrade included:
- Removal of the existing turf surface
- Addition of a sand profile and re-levelling of the surface
- New drainage and irrigation systems
- Reconstruction of the turf cricket wicket
- Installation of the new warm season grass
- A new coach's box and goal posts.
To see how the project took place, watch the time-lapse video below which shows the ground resurfacing works come to life.
This exciting project will provide a quality playing surface for the next 20 years, increasing the opportunity for sport and casual recreation at the ground, and reducing the use of water to irrigate the ground.
Although works are now complete, perimeter fencing around the oval will stay in place until the clubs who use the ground are allowed access to it. Council believes the oval and new wicket will be ready for use by the first round of cricket in October.
Find out more about the project here: Mulgrave Reserve